Crisp Tofu with Avocado
and radish romaine salad
- Tofu, extra-firm (vacuum-packed preferable) - 16 oz, 1/2" (2.5 cm) thick slices
- Avocados - 2, mashed
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Flour - 1/2 cup
- Egg - 1, whisked
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1 cup
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Radishes - 1/2 lb, sliced
- Cucumbers - 1/2 lb, chopped
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, shredded
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Cheese, cotija - 4 oz, crumbled (sub feta)
- Radishes / Cucumbers / Lettuce - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Slice into 1/2" (2.5 cm) thick slices. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Avocados - Mash avocados with lime juice and season with some salt and pepper. If not using right away, cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic down tightly over top (this will prevent browning).
- Preheat oven to 425F / 218C degrees. Brush a sheet pan with some oil or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare 3 breading dishes or containers: 1) flour; 2) whisked egg; and 3) panko with paprika, cumin, salt, and oil (portion for tofu). Coat tofu pieces in flour; dip into egg; and then into panko. Spread out onto sheet pan.
- Roast tofu in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden.
- While tofu roasts, whisk together mustard, honey, vinegar and oil (portion for salad). Toss vinaigrette with radishes, cucumber and lettuce. Top with cheese.
- Top tofu with mashed avocado and red pepper flakes. Enjoy with salad on the side.
This was pretty good. I only made the chicken and I made a side of potatoes instead of the salad. It was pretty easy to make up. I doubled the marinade and I used 4 chicken breasts that weighed a little more than 1lb. I didn't have any avocados so I didn't make the guac. It honestly didn't need it. I did put a good amount of red pepper flakes in with the marinade for the chicken so I didn't add them in at the end.0 Helpful
I liked it a lot! Used premade guac and cotija cheese because I had them on hand. I only marinated for about 40 minutes; it would have been even better if I had given it several hours or a day!0 Helpful
Pretty good, I opted for premade guac because I needed to use some up. I think the marinade needs longer than 30 but I knew that would happen.0 Helpful
Used my infused jalapeño tequila and it was killer!0 Helpful
So, I'm between 2 and 3 stars but because I was little disappointed that the tofu didn't have much flavor, I'm rating this 2 stars. The tofu really needed to be seasoned or even marinated like the chicken version before breaded and baked. To add more flavor, I squeezed lime and added more salt and pepper when I served it. I would, however, make this again, and if I do I'll marinate the tofu using the marinade noted for the meat versions. I liked the salad and dressing as well as the avocado on top.0 Helpful
Marinade made a flavorful moist chicken. We didn't mash the avocado but just sliced it to serve alongside. Added warm corn tortillas for everyone to fill up a bit more.0 Helpful