Tequila Lime Chicken
with avocado / radish romaine salad
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Tequila (opt) - 1 Tbsp
- Tamari - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 1/2 Tbsp + 2 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, halved
- Avocados - 2, mashed
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Radishes - 1/2 lb, sliced
- Cucumbers - 1/2 lb, chopped
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, shredded
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Cheese, feta - 3 oz, crumbled
- Make marinade - Chop garlic. Combine garlic with brown sugar, oil (the portion for the chicken), tequila, Tamari and the first portion of lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken- Halve chicken breasts. Combine with marinade and tenderize with a fork. Marinate for 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Radishes / Cucumbers / Lettuce - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Avocados - Mash avocados with second portion of lime juice and season with some salt and pepper. If not using right away, cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic down tightly over top (this will prevent browning).
- If using a grill: Preheat grill to to 400F / 204C degrees, keeping one section on higher heat and another section on lower heat. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and place over high heat. Sear chicken for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until cooked through.
- If using the stovetop: Place a grill pan or skillet over medium heat. Brush pan with some oil and sear chicken (discard marinade) on both sides until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes total.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board, cover with foil to keep warm and let rest for ~5 minutes.
- While chicken rests, whisk together mustard, honey, red wine vinegar and oil (the portion for the salad). Toss vinaigrette with radishes, cucumber and lettuce. Top with cheese.
- Slice chicken and top with mashed avocado and red pepper flakes. Enjoy with salad on the side.
This was pretty good. I only made the chicken and I made a side of potatoes instead of the salad. It was pretty easy to make up. I doubled the marinade and I used 4 chicken breasts that weighed a little more than 1lb. I didn't have any avocados so I didn't make the guac. It honestly didn't need it. I did put a good amount of red pepper flakes in with the marinade for the chicken so I didn't add them in at the end.0 Helpful
I liked it a lot! Used premade guac and cotija cheese because I had them on hand. I only marinated for about 40 minutes; it would have been even better if I had given it several hours or a day!0 Helpful
Pretty good, I opted for premade guac because I needed to use some up. I think the marinade needs longer than 30 but I knew that would happen.0 Helpful
Used my infused jalapeño tequila and it was killer!0 Helpful
So, I'm between 2 and 3 stars but because I was little disappointed that the tofu didn't have much flavor, I'm rating this 2 stars. The tofu really needed to be seasoned or even marinated like the chicken version before breaded and baked. To add more flavor, I squeezed lime and added more salt and pepper when I served it. I would, however, make this again, and if I do I'll marinate the tofu using the marinade noted for the meat versions. I liked the salad and dressing as well as the avocado on top.0 Helpful
Marinade made a flavorful moist chicken. We didn't mash the avocado but just sliced it to serve alongside. Added warm corn tortillas for everyone to fill up a bit more.0 Helpful