Tequila Lime Chicken
with avocado / radish romaine salad
Tequila in the marinade for this chicken flavors and tenderizes the meat, but feel free to leave it out if you prefer. Topped with mashed avocado and a pinch of red pepper flakes, this was praised by members as a favorite summer meal back in June 2014.
Tequila Lime Chicken:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Tequila (opt) - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 1/2 Tbsp + 2 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , halved
- Avocados - 2 , mashed
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
Radish and Romaine Salad with Feta:
- Radishes - 1/2 lb , sliced
- Cucumbers - 1/2 lb , chopped
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts , shredded
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Cheese, feta - 3 oz , crumbled
- Make marinade - Chop garlic. Combine garlic with brown sugar, oil (the portion for the chicken), tequila, soy sauce and the first portion of lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken- Halve chicken breasts. Combine with marinade and tenderize with a fork. Marinate for 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Radishes / Cucumbers / Lettuce - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Avocados - Mash avocados with second portion of lime juice and season with some salt and pepper. If not using right away, cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic down tightly over top (this will prevent browning).
- If using a grill: Preheat grill to to 400F / 204C degrees, keeping one section on higher heat and another section on lower heat. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and place over high heat. Sear chicken for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until cooked through.
- If using the stovetop: Place a grill pan or skillet over medium heat. Brush pan with some oil and sear chicken (discard marinade) on both sides until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes total.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board, cover with foil to keep warm and let rest for ~5 minutes.
- While chicken rests, whisk together mustard, honey, red wine vinegar and oil (the portion for the salad). Toss vinaigrette with radishes, cucumber and lettuce. Top with cheese.
- Slice chicken and top with mashed avocado and red pepper flakes. Enjoy with salad on the side.