with Mediterranean Platter of pita, hummus, and fresh veggies
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Jalapenos (opt) - 3, seeds removed and diced (sub green bell pepper)
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, sliced
- Cucumbers - 1/2 lb, sliced into sticks
- Pita bread - 4
- Basil leaves - 1/4 cup, chiffonade
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Eggs - 4
- Baby carrots - 6 oz
- Hummus, store-bought - 8 oz
- Make spice mix - Combine cumin, paprika, chili powder and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Onions / Jalapenos - Prep as directed. Combine onions and jalapenos. Store garlic separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead of time)
- Peppers / Cucumbers (use this video as a guide, but make thicker for dipping) - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Pita - Slice pita into triangles.
- Basil - Chiffonade basil.
- Optional step if you want to toast your pita. Heat oven or toaster oven to 350F / 177C degrees. Toast pita for 5 to 7 minutes when oven has warmed up.
- Heat up a skillet or saute pan that you have a lid for over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan and then onions and jalapenos with some salt. Saute for ~6 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute more.
- Add in diced tomatoes (including liquid) with spice mix. Saute for ~4 minutes to let flavors come together
- Crack eggs directly into tomatoes. Lower heat to medium, cover, and cook for ~5 minutes, or until eggs are done to your liking.
- While eggs cook, arrange Mediterranean platter with pita, baby carrots, peppers, cucumbers and hummus.
- Top shakshuka with basil.
- Use pita to scoop up shakshuka and hummus. Dip veggies in hummus. Enjoy!
Needed more spice but super good! We added feta to the top as well to give a little extra flavor. Love this recipe so much!0 Helpful
One of my absolute favorites!0 Helpful
Pretty good, but was missing parsley or cilantro. Going to try frying the eggs separately bc had a hard time getting the whites fullycooked without also getting the yolks.0 Helpful
A little too spicy, but overall good! I would cut down on the chili powder or do jalapenos without seeds next time. Ate on top of sourdough0 Helpful
Simple, quick, cheap, tasty. A winner!0 Helpful
good for guests0 Helpful