with Mediterranean Platter of pita, hummus, and fresh veggies
Every time we feature this classic baked Mediterranean egg dish, it gets declared a favorite of vegetarians and carnivores alike. Served with a Mediterranean platter of veggies, pita and hummus, there's a little something for everyone to enjoy in this meal.
Shakshuka with Mediterranean Platter:
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Onions, medium - 1 , diced
- Jalapenos (opt) - 3 , seeds removed and diced (sub green bell pepper)
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , sliced
- Cucumbers - 1/2 lb , sliced into sticks
- Pita bread - 4
- Basil leaves - 1/4 cup , chiffonade
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Eggs - 4
- Baby carrots - 6 oz
- Hummus, store-bought - 8 oz
- Make spice mix - Combine cumin, paprika, chili powder and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Onions / Jalapenos - Prep as directed. Combine onions and jalapenos. Store garlic separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead of time)
- Peppers / Cucumbers (use this video as a guide, but make thicker for dipping) - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Pita - Slice pita into triangles.
- Basil - Chiffonade basil.
- Optional step if you want to toast your pita. Heat oven or toaster oven to 350F / 177C degrees. Toast pita for 5 to 7 minutes when oven has warmed up.
- Heat up a skillet or saute pan that you have a lid for over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan and then onions and jalapenos with some salt. Saute for ~6 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute more.
- Add in diced tomatoes (including liquid) with spice mix. Saute for ~4 minutes to let flavors come together
- Crack eggs directly into tomatoes. Lower heat to medium, cover, and cook for ~5 minutes, or until eggs are done to your liking.
- While eggs cook, arrange Mediterranean platter with pita, baby carrots, peppers, cucumbers and hummus.
- Top shakshuka with basil.
- Use pita to scoop up shakshuka and hummus. Dip veggies in hummus. Enjoy!