Cajun Shrimp Po’ Boywith chips / pickles
There is something about a shrimp Po’ Boy that makes it feel like beach vacation food. Whether at the beach or around your kitchen table, this Cajun-spiced version of the sandwich with a creamy sauce is sure to please. We think it’s best served simply with pickles and chips on the side.
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Cajun seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, leaves torn (sub green leaf lettuce)
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, thinly sliced
- Lemons - 1, wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sandwich buns - 4 (sub hotdog buns)
- Pickles, sliced or whole, for serving (opt) - 6 oz
- Chips, for serving - 4 cups
- Mayonnaise - 6 Tbsp
- Cajun seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1/2 tsp
- Pickle juice (opt) - 1/2 tsp (from a jar of pickles)
- Hot sauce of choice (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and dry. Combine with Cajun seasoning (the portion for the shrimp) and some salt and pepper.
- Make creamy Cajun sauce - Combine mayonnaise, Cajun seasoning (the portion for the sauce), garlic powder, mustard, pickle juice and hot sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes / Lemons - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add oil and then shrimp. Saute until shrimp is opaque and cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes (depending on their size).
- Toast sandwich buns.
- Assemble sandwiches by brushing the insides of the rolls with half of the Creamy Cajun Sauce. Add lettuce, tomatoes, and then shrimp. Drizzle remaining sauce over top.
- Serve sandwiches with lemon wedges on the side to squeeze over top of the shrimp. Enjoy sandwiches with pickles and chips on the side.
This meal has 36 reviews
So good! And prep/ cooking is super fast, too! We love the blend of flavors!
Was good. Need to make sure and get peeled and deveined shrimp next time. Didn't add pickle juice to the Mayo. Maybe next time.
Didn't quite have a full pound of shrimp, so it wasn't really enough for 4 servings. Delicious though!
me: Yum; SO: nogo
It was really good, family liked it a lot. Quick and easy. Doubled the shrimp cause we used the larger French bread loaves. We chopped up a head of garlic and an onion and sautéed them in the pan before adding the shrimp for a little more flavor. Used just plain mayo on the kid's and the sauce on the adults. Served with salad instead of chips.