Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Soup
with ground turkey / tomatoes
If you’ve ever made stuffed cabbage rolls, you know it is a time consuming endeavor! But we love the classic flavors of the dish that is common in early summer in many parts of the world, so we transformed it into this “deconstructed” soup. With yogurt and crusty bread, it’s as good as the original without all the work.
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Soup:
- Shallots - 2 cloves , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Bell peppers, fire-roasted - 3/4 cup , chopped
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb (sub any ground meat)
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb , cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz (sub shredded cabbage)
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 2 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Shallots / Garlic / Bell peppers - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season turkey - Combine ground turkey with salt, coriander, oregano, paprika, garlic powder and red pepper flakes (if using). Mix with hands or a wooden spoon. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Potatoes - Peel and cube potatoes.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then slaw mix. Saute until tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add shallots, garlic, bell peppers and tomato paste and saute until fragrant, ~2 minutes more. Add sherry vinegar and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Fold in seasoned ground turkey and break up with a wooden spoon. Brown meat for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Pour stock, tomatoes (including liquid) and potatoes over turkey. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- When soup is finished cooking, stir in lemon juice. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Finish soup with a squeeze of lemon juice and some salt and pepper. Enjoy!