Asian Tofu Tacos
with Sriracha mayo / strawberry kiwi smoothie
Asian Fish Tacos have made the favorites lists of many of our members since they were featured in October 2014, so we wanted to make a vegetarian version using tofu. A flavorful sauce coats the pan-seared tofu to bring you layers of flavor in these creative tacos.
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , 1" / 2.5cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 3/4 tsp
- Mayonnaise - 1/2 cup
- Sriracha - 1 tsp (sub hot sauce of choice)
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 8
- Asian slaw (ingredients listed separately) - 2 cups
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup , chopped
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz (sub shredded cabbage)
- Kiwis - 4 , peeled
- Strawberries, frozen - 3 cups (sub fresh)
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1 cup
- Water - 1/2 cup (sub milk or juice)
Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Slice into 1" / 2.5cm cubes.
Make sauce - Whisk together soy sauce, toasted sesame oil (portion for the tofu), honey and garlic powder. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make Sriracha mayo - Combine mayonnaise, Sriracha and lime juice (portion for the tacos). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make slaw - Chop cilantro. Whisk together toasted sesame oil (the portion for the slaw), sugar, vinegar and lime juice (the portion for the slaw). Add cilantro and slaw mix and toss to combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Heat a nonstick pan with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and sear on all sides until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes total. Pour sauce over top and simmer until sauce thickens and coats tofu.
While tofu cooks, peel kiwis. Combine kiwis, strawberries, yogurt and water in blender. If using fresh strawberries, add some ice. Blend until smooth.
Warm tortillas according to package instructions.
Taste slaw and season to taste with some salt and pepper.
Assemble tacos with slaw, tofu and Sriracha mayo on top. Enjoy with smoothies on the side.