Asian Tofu Tacos
with Sriracha mayo / strawberry kiwi smoothie
Asian Fish Tacos have made the favorites lists of many of our members since they were featured in October 2014, so we wanted to make a vegetarian version using tofu. A flavorful sauce coats the pan-seared tofu to bring you layers of flavor in these creative tacos.
- Tofu, extra-firm (vacuum-packed preferable) - 16 oz, 1" / 2.5cm cubes
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 3/4 tsp
- Mayonnaise - 1/2 cup
- Sriracha - 1 tsp (sub hot sauce of choice)
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 8
- Asian slaw (ingredients listed separately) - 2 cups
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz (sub shredded cabbage)
- Kiwis - 4, peeled
- Strawberries, frozen - 3 cups (sub fresh)
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1 cup
- Water - 1/2 cup (sub milk or juice)
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Slice into 1" / 2.5cm cubes.
- Make sauce - Whisk together soy sauce, toasted sesame oil (portion for the tofu), honey and garlic powder. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make Sriracha mayo - Combine mayonnaise, Sriracha and lime juice (portion for the tacos). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make slaw - Chop cilantro. Whisk together toasted sesame oil (the portion for the slaw), sugar, vinegar and lime juice (the portion for the slaw). Add cilantro and slaw mix and toss to combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat a nonstick pan with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and sear on all sides until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes total. Pour sauce over top and simmer until sauce thickens and coats tofu.
- While tofu cooks, peel kiwis. Combine kiwis, strawberries, yogurt and water in blender. If using fresh strawberries, add some ice. Blend until smooth.
- Warm tortillas according to package instructions.
- Taste slaw and season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Assemble tacos with slaw, tofu and Sriracha mayo on top. Enjoy with smoothies on the side.
Used Dover sole instead of tilapia, the fish was soooo good. The slaw was okay, and the smoothie delicious. Next time, I would add more red pepper, but otherwise I liked it a lot.0 Helpful
This Ian the bet thing I’ve ever eaten. The smoothies were an odd partner but were welcomed with an open mouth.0 Helpful
If I had 1/2 an extra star, I'd give it 2.5. It was good - but wouldn't say we liked it a lot.0 Helpful
The sauce was really sweet, but I liked it.0 Helpful
Got requests for the recipe from my friends on this one!0 Helpful
Enjoyed every bite! My husband used cilantro/lime marinated chicken and that worked beautifully too. Want to serve this to friends!0 Helpful