Black Bean, Corn and Poblano Salad
- Tomatoes, heirloom preferable - 2 lb
- Cucumbers, medium - 1
- Garlic - 1 clove , peeled
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
Creamy Paprika Dressing:
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
Black Bean, Corn and Poblano Salad:
- Onions, medium red - 1/2 , chopped
- Poblano chilis, large - 1 , chopped (sub any color bell peppers)
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Corn kernels, fresh off the cob or frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Avocados - 1 , cubed
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 1/4 cup
- Onions / Poblanos - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make gazpacho - Roughly chop tomatoes and cucumbers. Combine tomatoes, cucumbers, garlic, olive oil, vinegar (the portion for the gazpacho), sugar, cumin and red pepper flakes in a food processor or blender. Pulse until a nearly smooth (we like to stop while it still has a bit of texture). Season with some salt and pepper or add more chili flakes if you would like. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes so you can serve it chilled. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cilantro / Corn - Chop cilantro. If using fresh corn, slice off cobs. If using frozen corn, defrost in the microwave. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse beans.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil (the portion for the salad) and then onions, poblanos and corn. Season with some salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender and vegetables have started to blacken in spots (you'll get the most flavor if the poblanos and corn are lightly charred), 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add beans and stir until beans are heated through. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice. Season with some salt and pepper. Set aside to cool a bit while preparing the rest of the salad.
- Whisk together paprika, vinegar, oil (the portions for the dressing), yogurt and mustard. Cube avocados.
- Assemble salads by gently tossing greens with avocados and beans / corn / poblano mixture. Sprinkle pepitas on top and add dressing until dressed to your liking.
- Enjoy salad with gazpacho on the side.