Leftover Carnitas Waffle Fry "Nachos" with lettuce / cheese / sour cream
We couldn't resist jumping on the trend to use waffle fries instead of chips as a base for nachos. With leftover carnitas from Tuesday, these "nachos" come together fast and are easy to customize with your favorite toppings.
Smarts: In testing we liked frozen waffle fries (Alexia makes a sweet potato waffle fry that was great here) as a base for their ability to hold up to toppings, but you could try these with tater tots or other frozen fries if you'd like to experiment! Tortilla chips will work too.
- Onions, medium - 1/2, diced
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, chopped
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, diced
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Waffle fries, frozen - 20 oz (use sweet potato waffle fries if you can find them; sub tortilla chips)
- Cheese, any pre-shredded blend - 6 oz
- Slow-cooker carnitas (leftover from Monday) - ~3 cups
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Sour cream - 1/3 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Salsa, any type - 1/4 cup
- Cook waffle fries according to package directions (if using tortilla chips heat oven to 350F / 177C degrees; spread chips out onto a sheet pan, but do not cook until you have added toppings).
- When fries are cooked, remove pan from oven and turn on oven's broiler (skip this step if using tortilla chips).
- Top fries (or chips) with cheese, onions and then leftover carnitas. Place under the broiler and broil until cheese is melted and carnitas are warmed through, 3 to 4 minutes (watch the nachos closely so they don't burn).
- Finish nachos with a squeeze of lime juice and cilantro. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and salsa at the table so that everyone can customize. Enjoy!
This meal has 22 reviews
Waffle fries ended up a little soggy, but overall the taste was great!
The meat made the potatoes soggy. Next time, perhaps heat the meat in a skillet and drain before covering the potatoes.
I was skeptical. I almost chickened out and used chips, but I had some waffle fries in the freezer already so I went for it. I'm so glad I did - this was so good!
Yum! Used chips instead of waffle fries. Added avocado.
Kids loved this!
I did use sweet potato waffle fries, not crazy about them, would probably use regular waffle fries or the tortilla chips.