Balsamic Chicken and Spinach Salad
with strawberries / goat cheese / almonds
The combination of flavors in this fresh, spring-minded salad make it feel restaurant-worthy. We’ve given instructions for both stovetop and grill, so feel free to fire up the grill if time and weather permit.
Smarts: A balsamic vinaigrette doubles as both a marinade and salad dressing here to give the salad maximum flavor in the fewest steps.
- Shallots - 1 clove, diced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 3 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Strawberries - 1 pint, quartered
- Spinach, baby - 8 oz
- Cheese, goat - 4 oz, sub feta
- Almonds, sliced - 1/3 cup
- Balsamic vinaigrette - Dice shallots. Combine shallots with vinegar, mustard, honey, oil and lemon juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken - Combine chicken with half the vinaigrette (reserve the other half for dressing) and tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- If using a grill: Preheat grill to to 400F / 204C degrees, keeping one section on higher heat and another section on lower heat. Clean and brush grates with some oil. Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and place over high heat. Sear chicken for 2 to 3 minutes on each side and transfer to lower heat. Cook until internal temperature reaches 165F / 74C degrees, an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- If using the stovetop: Place a grill pan or skillet over medium heat. Brush pan with some oil and sear chicken (discard marinade) on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium, cover with foil, and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 165F / 74C degrees.
- When chicken is finished cooking, cover and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- While chicken rests, quarter strawberries.
- Slice chicken. Assemble salads by topping spinach with sliced chicken, strawberries, crumbled goat cheese and almonds. Finish with reserved half of vinaigrette at the table. Enjoy!
Loved this, super good and pretty easy too.0 Helpful
Excellent dish! Great salad. Chicken was great, too.0 Helpful
Doubled the dressing, added a sliced avocado. It was heavenly. However, the chicken definitely needed to be marinated overnight, not just twenty minutes. And I burned my non stick pan for good, trying to get the chicken to cook per the instructions. Had to finish it in the oven, and wish I'd known that upfront.0 Helpful
It was a solid salad dish, which I enjoy. I'd like a chopped hard boiled egg in there next time.0 Helpful
Accidentally used my shallot for something else so replaced with 1/4 onion and 1 clove garlic. Wilted spinach for a bit on top of chicken - my husband and father-in-law raved about this dish. It will make more appearances on our table this summer with other in season fruit!0 Helpful
Simple and delicious. Can't go wrong.0 Helpful