Korean Beef Bulgogi Bowls
with shiitakes / green beans / zucchini noodles
Smarts: Top these bowls with a fried egg and you’ll have another paleo-friendly Korean dish called Bibimbap!
- Steak, sirloin or boneless ribeye - 1 1/2 lbs, thinly sliced (sub skirt or flank steak)
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Ginger (opt) - 2 tsp, grated
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 6 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 3 tsp
- Carrots - 8 oz, thinly sliced
- Green beans - 1 lb, chopped into 1" / 2.5 pieces (sub frozen, chopped green beans)
- Mushrooms, shiitakes - 8 oz, chopped (sub button mushrooms)
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Zucchini - 1 lb, spiralized, sliced into noodles with a peeler, or chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Kimchi, for serving (opt) - 1/4 cup
- Gochujang, for serving - 2 Tbsp (sub hot sauce of choice)
- Chill beef - This step is optional, but will make the meat easier to slice. Put beef in the freezer for about 15 minutes so it is very cold but not frozen.
- Marinate beef - Chop garlic and grate ginger (if using). Thinly slice steak against the grain. Combine garlic, ginger, aminos, honey and toasted sesame oil in a bowl. Add beef and marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Carrots / Green beans - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Limes - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Zucchini - Turn zucchini into 'noodles' with a spiralizer or peel off strips with a peeler. (Note: If you prefer, you can also just chop your zucchini to make a zucchini saute.)
- Heat a wok with the first part of cooking oil over medium heat. Add zucchini with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until zucchini is tender, ~2 minutes for zucchini noodles and 4 minutes for chopped zucchini. Set zucchini aside.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add second part of cooking oil. Add carrots and saute until tender, ~3 minutes. Add green beans and mushrooms and saute until green beans are cooked to your liking, 5 to 7 minutes. Add beef and marinade and cook until beef is cooked through and marinade is bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Serve beef and vegetables over zucchini. Enjoy with lime wedges, kimchi and Gochujang for topping at the table.
Oh my yes!! This was so incredibly easy and so delicious!! I used rib eye, regular rice, absolutely loved it. Will definitely make on a regular rotation.0 Helpful
Tasted good! Hubby liked it0 Helpful
This is such an easy option for the IP and slowcooker... just throw the marinated beef and mushrooms into the cooker and cook rice and green beans in a rice cooker... Give it a try!0 Helpful
This meal was fantastic. Quick to make and super flavorful, and easy to tweak to add anything or any flavor you would like. Officially made our "regular rotation" list.0 Helpful
This recipe was very tasty. I substituted the mushroom and green beans veggie side for an asian vegetable stirfry in a bag from whole foods. The sauce for the beef was tasty. I would definitely make it again.0 Helpful
Yum! Made the lentils from dried with broth, salt, pepper. Marinated them in the morning. Everything paired really well together.0 Helpful