Korean Beef Bulgogi Rice Bowls
with shiitakes / green beans
Smarts: Top these bowls with a fried egg and you’ll have another well-loved Korean dish called Bibimbap!
- Steak, sirloin or boneless ribeye - 1 lb, thinly sliced (sub skirt or flank steak)
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger (opt) - 1 tsp, grated
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/3 cup
- Brown sugar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Green beans - 1 lb, chopped into 1" / 2.5 pieces
- Mushrooms, shiitakes - 8 oz, chopped (sub button mushrooms)
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Monday) - ~2 cups
- Kimchi, for serving (opt) - 1/4 cup
- Gochujang, for serving - 2 Tbsp (sub hot sauce of choice)
- Chill beef - This step is optional, but will make the meat easier to slice. Put beef in the freezer for about 15 minutes so it is very cold but not frozen.
- Marinate beef - Chop garlic and grate ginger (if using). Thinly slice steak against the grain. Combine garlic, ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar and toasted sesame oil in a bowl. Add beef and marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Green beans - Chop into 1"/ 2.5 pieces. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Limes - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- [Optional step]: For crisp rice, heat a skillet with first part of cooking oil over medium heat. Spread rice out over heated oil and let it cook, without stirring, until golden brown and crisp on the bottom, 4 to 7 minutes. While rice cooks, continue with the next steps.
- Heat a wok with the second part of cooking oil over medium-high. Add green beans and mushrooms and saute until green beans are cooked to your liking, 5 to 7 minutes. Add beef and marinade and cook until beef is cooked through and marinade is bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Serve beef and vegetables over rice. Enjoy with lime wedges, kimchi and Gochujang for topping at the table.
Oh my yes!! This was so incredibly easy and so delicious!! I used rib eye, regular rice, absolutely loved it. Will definitely make on a regular rotation.0 Helpful
Tasted good! Hubby liked it0 Helpful
This is such an easy option for the IP and slowcooker... just throw the marinated beef and mushrooms into the cooker and cook rice and green beans in a rice cooker... Give it a try!0 Helpful
This meal was fantastic. Quick to make and super flavorful, and easy to tweak to add anything or any flavor you would like. Officially made our "regular rotation" list.0 Helpful
This recipe was very tasty. I substituted the mushroom and green beans veggie side for an asian vegetable stirfry in a bag from whole foods. The sauce for the beef was tasty. I would definitely make it again.0 Helpful
Yum! Made the lentils from dried with broth, salt, pepper. Marinated them in the morning. Everything paired really well together.0 Helpful