Vegetarian Summer Chili
with two beans, red peppers & squash
This light chili is a great way to highlight summer veggies. Chayote squash is often found in Latin and Asian grocers. If you can't find it, zucchini is just fine (chayote is a bit crunchier and holds up very well in soups). Enjoy your chili with several splashes of Tapatio (my favorite Mexican hot sauce) and freeze what you don't finish for next time.
- Green onions - 3 stalks , chopped ((there are many stalks in a bunch))
- Onions - 1 , diced
- Red peppers - 2 , diced
- Zucchini or chayote squash - 2 , diced
- Corn - 3 cobs , kernels shaved off
- Kidney beans (14oz / 397g can) - 1 can , rinsed & drained
- Black beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can , rinsed & drained
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained ((if you can find tomatoes with green chilis, even better!))
- Vegetable broth - 4 cups
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Coriander - 2 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Hot sauce - for serving
- Green onions / Onion / Red peppers / Chayote squash or Zucchini / Corn - Prep as directed
- Beans - Rinse and drain.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a >5 quart (4.73 liters) Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then white parts of green onions to heated oil with some salt. Saute for ~1 minute and then add the diced onions with a pinch of salt. Add in red peppers and zucchini / squash with another dash of salt. Saute for ~3 more minutes and then cover with beans, tomatoes, broth, cumin, coriander, paprika, and salt. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered until vegetables are tender, ~10 to 15 minutes.
- Add in corn and then season to taste with salt, pepper, any of the spices, and / or hot sauce. Top with chopped green onions.