with roasted honey mustard veggies / tortilla chips
This soup is the definition of comforting with the addition of umami-rich sun dried tomatoes and a pinch of warming cinnamon stirred in at the end. Roasted honey mustard vegetable sticks make a flavorful side dish for this vegetarian meal that was first featured in November 2013.
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Tomatoes, sun-dried - 6
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 2 cups
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Tortilla chips (opt) - for serving
Roasted Honey Mustard Vegetables:
- Carrots - 1 lb , matchsticks
- Parsnips - 1 lb , matchsticks
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C.
- Combine cooking oil, honey and mustard. Toss with carrots and parsnips and spread on a sheet pan. Cover tightly with foil and ‘steam’ in oven for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the foil and season with some salt and pepper. Continue roasting until golden and tender, 10 to 12 minutes more.
- While vegetables roast, heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and then onions to heated oil. Saute until soft, ~3 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste and a pinch of salt. Saute for 2 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, salt and stock. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer covered for 10 minutes. Let soup cool.
- When soup has cooled slightly, puree with an immersion blender. Stir in cinnamon, and season with some salt and pepper.
- Stir yogurt into soup at the table and serve with tortilla chips (for dipping). Enjoy with veggies on the side.