Black Pepper Steak with Avocados
and tomato soup
Mashed avocados with lemon and red pepper flakes make a protein-rich, flavorful topping for simple seared black pepper steaks. The tomato soup served on the side is the definition of comforting with the addition of umami-rich sun dried tomatoes and a pinch of warming cinnamon stirred in at the end.
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Tomatoes, sun-dried - 6
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 2 cups
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
Black Pepper Steak with Avocados:
- Beef, boneless sirloin, flank or skirt - 1 lb
- Avocados - 2
- Lemon juice - 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and then onions to heated oil. Saute until soft, ~3 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste and a pinch of salt. Saute for 2 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, salt and stock. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer covered for 10 minutes. Let soup cool.
- While soup cools, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then steak to heated oil. Sear for 3 to 6 minutes on each side (closer to 3 for medium-rare and closer to 6 for more well done meat). Remove from heat, cover in foil, and let rest for at least 10 minutes.
- When soup has cooled slightly, puree with an immersion blender. Stir in cinnamon, and season with some salt and pepper.
- Slice steak against the grain. Spoon mashed avocado on top or serve it on the side and top with red pepper flakes (if using) and some salt and pepper. Enjoy steak with soup.