with avocado toast
This soup is the definition of comforting with the addition of umami-rich sun dried tomatoes and a pinch of warming cinnamon stirred in at the end. Avocado toast makes a quick and protein-rich side dish for this vegetarian meal that was first featured in November 2013.
Smarts: Use any base you'd like for the avocado toast - naan, pita or thick-sliced sandwich bread will all work here.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Tomatoes, sun-dried - 6
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 2 cups
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Avocados - 2
- Lemon juice - 1/2 Tbsp
- Naan - 4 slices (sub pita or flatbread)
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and then onions to heated oil. Saute until soft, ~3 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste and a pinch of salt. Saute for 2 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, salt and stock. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer covered for 10 minutes. Let soup cool.
- While soup is cooling, toast naan.
- Spread smashed avocado onto toasted naan. Top with red pepper flakes (if using) and some salt and pepper.
- When soup has cooled slightly, puree with an immersion blender. Stir in cinnamon, and season with some salt and pepper.
- Stir yogurt into soup at the table. Enjoy with avocado toast on the side.
Tomato soup was better than expected and you can’t go wrong with a streak.0 Helpful
Didn’t use Greek yogurt since lactose intolerant but otherwise hubby and I both enjoyed. Also we didn’t have the blender and food processor left some chunks but still tasty.0 Helpful
Was way too thick - consistency was more like salsa than soup.0 Helpful
I think it would taste better without the Greek yogurt0 Helpful
We don't have a blender and our food processor is ridiculously old. Maybe would have worked better if we had proper tools. Also, avocado spread needed more spicing somehow. Love the concept of this meal, just didn't execute it well. Also needed to double soup.0 Helpful
Used only one can or fire roasted tomatoes (with jalapeno) and one plain and it was still quite spicy. Very delicious and easy!0 Helpful