Tomato Soupwith avocado toast
This soup is the definition of comforting with the addition of umami-rich sun dried tomatoes and a pinch of warming cinnamon stirred in at the end. Avocado toast makes a quick and protein-rich side dish for this vegetarian meal that was first featured in November 2013.
Smarts: Use any base you'd like for the avocado toast - naan, pita or thick-sliced sandwich bread will all work here.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Tomatoes, sun-dried - 6
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 2 cups
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Avocados - 2
- Lemon juice - 1/2 Tbsp
- Naan - 4 slices (sub pita or flatbread)
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic / Onion - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Avocado - Mash avocado with lemon juice and some salt and pepper.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and then onions to heated oil. Saute until soft, ~3 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste and a pinch of salt. Saute for 2 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, salt and stock. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer covered for 10 minutes. Let soup cool.
- While soup is cooling, toast naan.
- Spread smashed avocado onto toasted naan. Top with red pepper flakes (if using) and some salt and pepper.
- When soup has cooled slightly, puree with an immersion blender. Stir in cinnamon, and season with some salt and pepper.
- Stir yogurt into soup at the table. Enjoy with avocado toast on the side.
This meal has 33 reviews
Was way too thick - consistency was more like salsa than soup.
I think it would taste better without the Greek yogurt
We don't have a blender and our food processor is ridiculously old. Maybe would have worked better if we had proper tools. Also, avocado spread needed more spicing somehow. Love the concept of this meal, just didn't execute it well. Also needed to double soup.
Used only one can or fire roasted tomatoes (with jalapeno) and one plain and it was still quite spicy. Very delicious and easy!
Best thing about this was the roasted carrots and parsnips from the vegetarian menu, next the avocado on nann, soup was fine, but not super exciting.
next time, we'll halve the sun-dried tomato