with broccoli in French vinaigrette
Hummus melts are one of our favorite weeknight vegetarian meals because they are fast and easily customizable. We love the way the savory hummus complements a topping of creamy, melty cheese.
Smarts: For an added dimension, use flavored hummus here instead of plain.
- Tomatoes, large - 1 , sliced
- Avocados - 1 , sliced
- Foil - for baking
- Bread, sandwich - 4 slices (a thick-sliced loaf is preferred; sub naan or pita)
- Hummus - 8 oz
- Cheese, shredded white cheddar - 4 oz (sub Swiss)
- Broccoli - 1 head , chopped
- Shallots - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine or sherry - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
Turn on the oven's broiler. Line a sheet pan with foil.
Arrange bread on sheet pan. Spread each slice with hummus. Then top with tomato slices, then avocado slices and cheese. Place under broiler until cheese is bubbly and golden, 4 to 8 minutes.
While hummus melts broil, place broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave for 2 minutes.
Chop shallots and mix with mustard, vinegar and some salt and pepper. Whisk in oil. Toss broccoli with vinaigrette.
Serve hummus melts with broccoli on the side. Enjoy!