Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu
with broccoli in French vinaigrette
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Flour - 1/2 cup
- Eggs - 2
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Thyme, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1/4 cup, grated
- Foil - for baking
- Ham, deli-sliced - 4 slices
- Cheese, shredded white cheddar - 4 oz (sub Swiss)
- Broccoli - 1 head, chopped
- Shallots - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine or sherry - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Broccoli - Chop broccoli into florets. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Chicken breasts - Butterfly chicken breasts, by slicing chicken breast in half, making sure you don’t slice all the way through so that the two halves are still connected. Open up chicken breasts, like opening a book. Place parchment paper over breasts and pound with a tenderizer, until breasts are about 1/4” / .63cm thick. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Prep breading stations – Mix together flour and some salt and pepper in one bowl / dish. Whisk together egg and water in second bowl / dish. Mix together bread crumbs, thyme, a generous pinch of salt, some pepper and parmesan in a third bowl / dish.
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil and spray with some cooking oil or brush with some oil.
- Top each piece of chicken with a slice of ham and cheese and then roll. Set aside. You can secure them with a toothpick if needed. (Watch this video for tips.)
- Dip the chicken into the flour mixture, then egg wash, then into the breadcrumbs.
- Place chicken onto the baking sheet seam side down.
- Bake until chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165F (74C), 20 to 25 minutes. (Cheese will start oozing out.)
- 10 minutes before chicken is done, place broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave until tender, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Chop shallots and mix with mustard, vinegar and some salt and pepper. Whisk in oil. Toss broccoli with vinaigrette.
- Slice chicken and serve with broccoli on the side. Enjoy!
Replaced ham with bacon. Amazing meal!!0 Helpful
Chicken needed more flavor0 Helpful
Last time this was a little bland with Swiss and Thyme, so this time we used white cheddar and Italian seasoning which did the trick. Family members from <1, 2, and 4 all thoroughly enjoyed!!0 Helpful
A new favorite! We used to buy these from the freezer section but now we're making them from scratch.0 Helpful
this was good but it def took longer to cook than stated0 Helpful
This was so incredibly easy and absolutely delicious. I used a steamer bag for the broccoli to make sure it got soft enough.0 Helpful