Lettuce Wrap "Tacos"
First featured as "Taco Night!" in the early days of our meal plan service, this fun recipe leads to a lettuce wrap "taco" bar where everyone can build their own right at the dinner table. It's a classic dinner that we love as much today as we did when it was first featured in March 2014.
- Beef, ground and lean - 1 lb
- Coriander - 3/4 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Jalapenos (opt) - 2, diced
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 head, leaves separated
- Avocados - 1, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, crushed - 3/4 cup
- Tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2, wedges
- Salsa - 1/2 cup (choose your favorite)
- Season meat - Combine beef with coriander, cumin, paprika, salt and chili powder. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Jalapenos / Onions / Cilantro - Prep as directed. Combine jalapenos and onions. Store remaining ingredients separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lettuce - Separate leaves.
- Avocados - Slice avocados.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then jalapenos and onions with a bit of salt to heated oil. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute.
- Next add in ground meat and break up with a wooden spoon. Saute until broken up into smaller pieces, 4 to 6 minutes. Add in crushed tomatoes and tomato paste and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes until meat is cooked through. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Set out your "taco" bar: lettuce leaves, meat filling, avocados, lime wedges, cilantro and salsa and let everyone assemble their own. Enjoy!
Simple, easy, and delicious!0 Helpful
I made it for a crowd and it went over well! Keeping it as a favorite for a classic homemade taco meat! I got 85/15 meat and it definitely needed a little draining before adding the tomato paste and crushed tomatoes. I added back extra seasoning that was drained off.0 Helpful
You can't go wrong with tacos!0 Helpful
Tacos were delicious!0 Helpful
OMG, so yummy, tasty, and delicious! The salad was the perfect partner for this dish. Definitely one of our favorites now.0 Helpful
Very good taste to the meat, although mine came out pretty greasy. The avocado salad was also yummy.0 Helpful