Indian Butter Chickpeas and Cauliflower
with peas / naan
A spice-filled and creamy tomato sauce makes this curry with chickpeas and cauliflower a great entry-level dish if you are unfamiliar with Indian cuisine. This dish tastes even better a day or two after it's made, so it's great for leftovers. This dish has remained a favorite among our members since it first made its debut in August 2013.
- Garam masala - 1 Tbsp
- Coriander - 4 tsp
- Ginger, dried - 2 tsp
- Turmeric - 1 tsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Cauliflower - 1 head, chopped
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 1/2 cans, drained and rinsed
- Butter - 1 Tbsp (sub ghee)
- Tomatoes, crushed (28 oz / 794 g) - 1 can
- Half and half - 1/2 cup
- Peas, frozen - 2 cups
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Naan - 4 rounds (sub pita or flatbread)
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add butter and then onions and saute until tender, ~3 minutes. Add in garlic and a pinch of salt. Saute until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add in cauliflower and then spice mix. Saute for another minute or two before pouring in tomatoes and half and half. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add in beans and reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook for another 5 minutes to let the flavors develop.
- Defrost peas in the microwave.
- Stir peas into curry and cook 1 minute more. Season to taste with some salt and more spices.
- Serve chickpeas and cauliflower with yogurt and cilantro on top and naan on the side. Enjoy!
So good! Even my 5 year old liked it (well, she didn't like the cauliflower)0 Helpful
Excellent! We didn’t have cauliflower, but we added potatoes and carrots.0 Helpful
Probably won't make this again. The ratios felt a bit off. Needed more spices and cream, less chunky veggies, to feel authentic. (Or veggies on the side, even better.)0 Helpful
Not at all what I expected based on the name... tasty and filling though!0 Helpful
Everyone enjoyed this.0 Helpful
Saw the comments so added extra spices and salt. Really delicious!0 Helpful