Indian Butter Chicken
with cauliflower / peas / naan
A spice-filled and creamy tomato sauce makes butter chicken a take-out favorite and a great entry-level dish if you are unfamiliar with Indian cuisine. This dish tastes even better a day or two after it's made, so it's great for leftovers. This dish has remained a favorite among our members since it first made its debut in August 2013.
Indian Butter Chicken:
- Garam masala - 1 Tbsp
- Coriander - 4 tsp
- Ginger, dried - 2 tsp
- Turmeric - 1 tsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Cauliflower - 1 head , chopped
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch , chopped
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , chopped
- Butter - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp (sub ghee)
- Tomatoes, crushed (28 oz / 794 g) - 1 can
- Half and half - 1/2 cup
- Peas, frozen - 2 cups
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Naan - 4 rounds (sub pita or flatbread)
- Make spice mix - Combine garam masala, coriander, ginger and turmeric in a small bowl.
- Garlic / Onions / Cauliflower / Cilantro - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop and then season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add first part of butter and then chicken to melted butter. Saute until golden, ~3 to 4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside (chicken doesn't need to be cooked through at this point).
- Return pan to heat and add second part of butter. Add onions and saute until tender, ~3 minutes. Add in garlic and a pinch of salt. Saute until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add in cauliflower and then spice mix. Saute for another minute or two before pouring in tomatoes and half and half. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Defrost peas in the microwave.
- Add in chicken and reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook for another 5 to 7 minutes, until everything is cooked through. Stir in peas and cook until warmed, 1 minute more. Season to taste with some salt and more spices.
- Serve chicken with yogurt and cilantro and naan on the side. Enjoy!