Five Spice Salmon Kebabs
with asparagus fried rice
Our Middle Eastern salmon kebabs were so popular, we were excited to test out some new flavors. This time, we're going Asian. Chinese five spice, soy sauce, and sesame oil turn salmon into delicious, fragrant bites. For our fried rice, crunchy summer asparagus pairs perfectly - just use the leftover rice from yesterday's dinner.
- Skewers - 8
- Salmon - 1 1/2 lbs, cubed
- Lemons - 2, sliced thinly into rounds
- Chinese five spice - 1 tsp ((spice blend))
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Rice vinegar - 1 tsp
- Toasted sesame oil - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 tsp
- Green onion - 3 stalks, chopped
- Asparagus - 1 lb, chopped into coins
- Eggs - 4, whisked
- Leftover rice - ~3 cups
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Peas - 1 1/2 cups
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- White pepper - 1 tsp
- Sweetener of choice - 1/4 tsp
- Skewers - Soak in water.
- Salmon - Rinse and dry fish. Chop into 1" (2.5 cm) cubes (It's OK if some pieces can't be perfectly cubed. We'll just fold them over when skewering.). Toss with salt & pepper.
- Lemon - Slice as thinly as possible.
- Green onions - Chop, keeping white and green parts separate. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Asparagus - Chop into small 1/4" (0.625 cm) thick coins. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Eggs - Whisk.
- Rice - Mix leftover rice with 1 tbs. (15 ml) cooking oil.
- Sauce for kebabs - Mix together five spice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and cooking oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Assemble each kebab with two skewers making 4 kebabs (When you use just one, ingredients often roll around, making it hard to flip efficiently). Alternate salmon cubes and lemon, folding lemon slice in half. Brush both sides with sauce.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Add salmon kebabs and sear on both sides for about 3 to 4 minutes. (BTW, you can eat the lemons!)
- While salmon's cooking, heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbs. (15 ml) cooking oil and then white parts of the green onions to heated oil with a dash of salt. Cook for ~1 minute and then add chopped asparagus with some salt. Stir-fry ~3 minutes. Push asparagus to the side and pour in eggs. Lighty scramble and then add in rice and peas. Toss for ~1 minute, breaking up leftover rice.
- Add in soy sauce, white pepper, and sweetener. Stir-fry until it's all warmed through. Season to taste with more soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Serve rice and kebabs topped with green parts of green onions.
I'm not totally sold on the Chinese five spice. I kept wanting the salmon to be a little more tangy. The rice was awesome, though.0 Helpful
Very good salmon glaze - will refer to this when i need a quick healthy dinner0 Helpful
Next time I make this will have to use the non stick skillet, stainless steel was a sticky nightmare (we don't have a grill). It was all very tasty, be sure to slice the lemons finely in rounds & do a read through of the recipe before cooking.0 Helpful
This was great, all very tasty. I struggled a bit with skewering the salmon - probably should have bought steaks rather than a fillet.0 Helpful
Super easy, fun to prepare, and delicious! Can't believe I made this!0 Helpful
This was one of my husbands favorites0 Helpful