Sausage and Patatas Bravas
with smoky garlic crema / Spanish salsa
We've taken a few liberties to bring you a quicker version of this popular Spanish dish that combines sausage and roasted potatoes. Even on a weeknight, we think it's worth making both a creamy sauce and quick salsa. The two condiments play off one another to bring loads of flavor to the plate.
Patatas Bravas with Broccoli:
- Broccoli - 1 lb , florets
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, white and green parts separate
- Potatoes, russet - 2 lbs , peeled and chopped
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
Smoky Garlic Crema:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 1/2 tsp
- Sausage, andouille (raw or cooked) - 4 links (sub any variety of sausage)
- Beer, any type - 1 cup (sub stock)
- Broccoli - Chop into florets. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make crema - Chop garlic. Combine with sour cream, paprika (the portion for the crema), lemon juice and hot sauce (if using). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions, keeping white and green parts separate. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Drain liquid from canned tomatoes.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- While oven heats, peel and chop potatoes. Toss broccoli, potatoes and white parts of green onions (reserve green parts) with olive oil and spread out onto a sheet pan. Season generously with some salt and pepper. Roast in the top rack of your oven for 25 to 30 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through cooking.
- While potatoes roast, heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add cooking oil and then tomatoes and saute until any excess liquid cooks off and tomatoes are sizzling in the bottom of the pan. Stir in paprika (portion for the salsa), sugar and vinegar. Set salsa aside. Wipe out pan and return to heat.
- Place sausage in heated pan. Add beer (or stock) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low-medium and continue cooking, uncovered, turning sausages to cook on both sides. Simmer sausage for ~5 minutes for pre-cooked sausage (until heated through) or ~10 minutes for raw sausage (until cooked through). Optional step: Once sausages are cooked, if you would like to brown them, pour off excess liquid and sear sausages on all sides.
- Top potatoes and broccoli with green parts of green onions.
- Serve sausage with potatoes and broccoli on the side. Enjoy with salsa and crema (these condiments go great with the entire dish).