Sausage and Patatas Bravas
with smoky garlic crema / Spanish salsa
- Broccoli - 1 lb, florets
- Green onions - 2, chopped, white and green parts separate
- Potatoes, russet - 2 lbs, peeled and chopped
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Hot sauce of choice (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 1/2 tsp
- Sausage, andouille (raw or cooked) - 4 links (sub any variety of sausage)
- Beer, any type - 1 cup (sub stock)
- Broccoli - Chop into florets. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make crema - Chop garlic. Combine with sour cream, paprika (the portion for the crema), lemon juice and hot sauce (if using). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions, keeping white and green parts separate. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Drain liquid from canned tomatoes.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- While oven heats, peel and chop potatoes. Toss broccoli, potatoes and white parts of green onions (reserve green parts) with olive oil and spread out onto a sheet pan. Season generously with some salt and pepper. Roast in the top rack of your oven for 25 to 30 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through cooking.
- While potatoes roast, heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add cooking oil and then tomatoes and saute until any excess liquid cooks off and tomatoes are sizzling in the bottom of the pan. Stir in paprika (portion for the salsa), sugar and vinegar. Set salsa aside. Wipe out pan and return to heat.
- Place sausage in heated pan. Add beer (or stock) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low-medium and continue cooking, uncovered, turning sausages to cook on both sides. Simmer sausage for ~5 minutes for pre-cooked sausage (until heated through) or ~10 minutes for raw sausage (until cooked through). Optional step: Once sausages are cooked, if you would like to brown them, pour off excess liquid and sear sausages on all sides.
- Top potatoes and broccoli with green parts of green onions.
- Serve sausage with potatoes and broccoli on the side. Enjoy with salsa and crema (these condiments go great with the entire dish).
The aioli was so easy and tasty, loved it. The flavors are really nice together, though I left out the broccoli.0 Helpful
This was a little spicy for Priya - use milder sausage next time.0 Helpful
Loved the condiments0 Helpful
Surprised how good this was.0 Helpful
Good, easy, spicy! Used smoked andouille sausage. Doubled the crema. Made tiny (half inch) cubes of potatoes, and they and the broccoli were perfect in 25 minutes.0 Helpful
This one has potential with a few changes. Unless you cube your potatoes into tiny dice, they take much longer to cook than the broccoli Next time I'll microwave the potatoes halfway first and finish in the oven. Second, instead of spooning the tomato salsa on top, it should be tossed together with the potatoes, which will absorb the flavor evenly. The crema is a nice finish on top.0 Helpful