Oven-Baked Asparagus and Parmesan Risotto
with pancetta / peas
- Cheese, parmesan - 2 oz, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Pancetta - 4 oz, chopped (look for pre-chopped)
- Asparagus - 1 lb, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Rice, Arborio - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 3 1/2 cups
- Peas, frozen or fresh - 1 cup
- Butter (opt) - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C. Situate racks so that you can fit a saute pan or Dutch oven on the bottom rack and a sheet pan on the top rack.
- Heat an oven-safe saute pan or Dutch oven that has a lid over medium heat. Add first part of oil and then pancetta to heated oil. Saute until pancetta is crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Set pancetta aside and return pan to heat.
- If pan is dry, add a splash of oil. Add onions and saute until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and rice and saute until rice is lightly toasted and garlic is fragrant.
- Pour in stock and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and transfer to lower rack of oven. Bake until rice is cooked through, ~25 minutes.
- While rice cooks, spread asparagus out onto a sheet pan and toss with second part of oil and some salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 4 to 7 minutes (depending on thickness of asparagus). Time it so that it finishes the same time as the risotto.
- If using frozen peas, defrost in the microwave; if using fresh peas, cover with a damp paper towel and cook in the microwave until tender, 2 to 4 minutes.
- When risotto is done, stir in peas, butter (if using), lemon juice and roasted asparagus. Season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Enjoy risotto with cheese and pancetta on top.
Very tasty! And such an easy way to make risotto.0 Helpful
Use fresh Parmesan cheese0 Helpful
Delicious! I would double the pancetta and I mixed the Parmesan in :)0 Helpful
Great flavor, but I think I didn't have enough liquid in mine. It burnt/crisped up a bit in the oven. Much easier to make in the oven than stirring on the stove.0 Helpful
Can't get pancetta in rural KY so subbed bacon and it was perfect, decadent and delicious :)0 Helpful
Delicious! I added mushrooms (put them in with the onions) which worked out great. I also used bacon that I had on hand instead of the pancetta. Roasting the asparagus worked perfectly.0 Helpful