Avocado Summer Rolls
and peanut dipping sauce / mango lassi
Smarts: Rolling summer rolls takes some practice, so if this is your first time, give yourself some extra time to make this meal. And don't miss the video link in the recipe for tips.
- Peanut butter - 1/3 cup (sub any nut butter)
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Sriracha (opt) - 1 tsp (sub hot sauce)
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Noodles, rice vermicelli - 4 oz (look for these in the international aisle; if you can't find them, substitute with another thin noodle)
- Carrots - 4 oz, shredded (look for pre-shredded)
- Basil, fresh - 1/4 cup, leaves torn
- Avocados - 1, sliced
- Rice papers - 12 (look for these in the international aisle)
- Mango cubes, frozen - 3 cups
- Orange juice - 1/4 cup (sub water)
- Yogurt, Greek or plain - 1 cup
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Make dipping sauce - Whisk together peanut butter, honey, soy sauce and Sriracha. Taste and add additional soy sauce for more savory flavor or honey for more sweetness. Add water a bit at a time until sauce reaches a smooth, pourable consistency. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cook rice noodles - (Skip if noodles were made ahead.) Cook according to package instructions and store in cold water until ready to use. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Carrots - Shred carrots (if not pre-shredded). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make lassi - Blend mango and orange juice (the portions for the lassi) with yogurt and lime juice. Add a pinch of salt (just a pinch brings out the the mango flavor). Add additional orange juice or water, if needed, until mixture is smooth and pours easily. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Basil / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Fill a frying pan with about 1" (3.75 cm) of water. Heat water over medium-low heat - it shouldn't be so hot that you can't touch it.
- Dip rice paper into water and rotate through water (check out this video to see how we keep the rice paper from sticking). Place onto a plate. Do 4 at a time and then assemble 4 rolls.
- To assemble rolls, layer noodles, carrots, basil and avocados at the end of the rice paper that is close to you. Don't over-fill or the paper will break. Fold rice paper over the filling from the bottom up. Then fold sides over. Roll as tightly as possible (Again, check out the this video for tips).
- Serve summer rolls with dipping sauce and lassi on the side!
Made with tofu. Love the sauce, but my teen had to make a second dinner later.0 Helpful
The dipping sauce really makes this dish.0 Helpful
Great basic spring roll -- I suggest adding in some egg or tofu for added protein!0 Helpful
SO wouldn't even try it.0 Helpful
This is a fun meal to make with kids! I added tofu for extra protein. Everyone loved it. So refreshing!0 Helpful
Really good but the wraps felt like they were missing something... would add cucumber and maybe chicken if making again.0 Helpful