Skillet Chickpeas and Sweet Potatoes
with salsa / chard / quinoa
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, cubed
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Chard, any type - 2 bunches, chopped, leaves and stems separate (this may seem like a lot, but it will cook down)
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Salsa, store-bought - 1/2 cup (choose your fave)
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Sour cream (opt) - 1/4 cup
- Quinoa - (Skip if quinoa was made ahead on Monday.) Combine quinoa with stock and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat when finished to prevent burning / sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes / Garlic / Chard - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Pre-cook potatoes - Place sweet potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with wet paper towel and microwave on high until tender, ~5 minutes. (You can also boil the potatoes in a stockpot of water until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic and chard stems with a dash of salt to heated oil. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Add beans, sweet potatoes and chard leaves to skillet. Saute until chard leaves are wilted and beans are heated through. Top with salsa and stir to mix. Remove from heat and finish with lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If quinoa was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve sweet potatoes, beans and chard over quinoa with sour cream on top. Enjoy!
Quick and easy. I used kale instead of chard – probably should have sautéed it longer. Otherwise good.0 Helpful
Everyone in our house loved it - husband and 4 yr old. Husband said it was the tastiest CS meal so far. It was super easy to make, too. I made it as described! I really love chard (prefer over kale or spinach) so this is a hit for me, too. I used Johnny's Seasoning instead of garlic powder on the chicken.0 Helpful
This was really good! The best meal I made so far from Cook Smarts.0 Helpful
I made this for guests and everyone was raving about it; so easy to make too! PERFECTION!0 Helpful
I loved this, and thought it was juicy and flavorful. Erik said it was good, but a bit simple/boring.0 Helpful
Surprised at all the chard haters out there, personally love it! This was a nice different way to cook it (usually just steam and sometimes add lemon juice) The chicken thighs were a nice change from breasts, and always love "nestling" food to cook. Unfortunately don't have any store favorite salsas and tomato based sauces don't go over well. So, added broth instead of salsa and made a creamy cilantro avocado lime sauce to top the meal with- for me that was the hit, the rest was pretty bland.0 Helpful