Skillet Chicken with Salsa and Chard
over roasted sweet potatoes
A little salsa adds a lot of flavor to this simple skillet chicken dinner. A version of this classic dish first made its debut to our meal plan service back in March 2014.
- Sweet potatoes - 1 1/2 lbs, cubed
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Chard, any type - 2 bunches, chopped, leaves and stems separate (this may seem like a lot, but it will cook down)
- Chicken thighs, boneless & skinless - 1 1/2 lbs ((Feel free to use breasts if you prefer white meat))
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Salsa, store-bought - 1/2 cup (choose your fave)
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Preheat oven to 500F / 260C degrees. (Check out our how to roast vegetables video.)
- Place sweet potatoes in a sheet pan and then cover tightly with foil. Bake for 10 minutes on top rack.
- While potatoes are cooking, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then chicken thighs. Sear on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes, until they’ve formed a golden sear. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return to potatoes. Take them out of the oven, remove foil, and toss with olive oil, paprika and a generous sprinkle of salt. Roast for another 10 to 15 minutes uncovered, giving them a shake midway through.
- Return skillet to heat and add second part of cooking oil. Toss in garlic and chard stems with a dash of salt and saute until softened, ~3 minutes. Add in chard leaves and saute until slightly wilted.
- Return chicken to skillet, nestling into chard leaves. Top with salsa, cover with foil, and lower heat to medium. Cook until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160F / 74C degrees, another 3 to 5 minutes. Finish with lime juice.
- Serve chicken and chard over sweet potatoes. Enjoy!
Quick and easy. I used kale instead of chard – probably should have sautéed it longer. Otherwise good.0 Helpful
Everyone in our house loved it - husband and 4 yr old. Husband said it was the tastiest CS meal so far. It was super easy to make, too. I made it as described! I really love chard (prefer over kale or spinach) so this is a hit for me, too. I used Johnny's Seasoning instead of garlic powder on the chicken.0 Helpful
This was really good! The best meal I made so far from Cook Smarts.0 Helpful
I made this for guests and everyone was raving about it; so easy to make too! PERFECTION!0 Helpful
I loved this, and thought it was juicy and flavorful. Erik said it was good, but a bit simple/boring.0 Helpful
Surprised at all the chard haters out there, personally love it! This was a nice different way to cook it (usually just steam and sometimes add lemon juice) The chicken thighs were a nice change from breasts, and always love "nestling" food to cook. Unfortunately don't have any store favorite salsas and tomato based sauces don't go over well. So, added broth instead of salsa and made a creamy cilantro avocado lime sauce to top the meal with- for me that was the hit, the rest was pretty bland.0 Helpful