Skillet Chicken with Salsa and Chard
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Chard, any type - 2 bunches, chopped, leaves and stems separate (this may seem like a lot, but it will cook down)
- Chicken thighs, boneless & skinless - 1 1/2 lbs ((Feel free to use breasts if you prefer white meat))
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Salsa, store-bought - 1/2 cup (choose your fave)
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Sour cream (opt) - 1/4 cup
- Quinoa - Combine quinoa with stock and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat when finished to prevent burning / sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Chard - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Season chicken with garlic powder and some salt and pepper. Tenderize. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil and then chicken thighs. Sear on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown (but not cooked all the way through). Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return skillet to heat and add second part of oil. Toss in garlic and chard stems with a dash of salt and saute until softened, ~3 minutes. Add in chard leaves and saute until slightly wilted.
- Return chicken to skillet, nestling into chard leaves. Top with salsa, cover with foil, and lower heat to medium. Cook until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160F / 74C degrees, another 3 to 5 minutes. Finish with lime juice.
- If quinoa was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve chicken and chard over quinoa with sour cream on top. Enjoy!
Quick and easy. I used kale instead of chard – probably should have sautéed it longer. Otherwise good.0 Helpful
Everyone in our house loved it - husband and 4 yr old. Husband said it was the tastiest CS meal so far. It was super easy to make, too. I made it as described! I really love chard (prefer over kale or spinach) so this is a hit for me, too. I used Johnny's Seasoning instead of garlic powder on the chicken.0 Helpful
This was really good! The best meal I made so far from Cook Smarts.0 Helpful
I made this for guests and everyone was raving about it; so easy to make too! PERFECTION!0 Helpful
I loved this, and thought it was juicy and flavorful. Erik said it was good, but a bit simple/boring.0 Helpful
Surprised at all the chard haters out there, personally love it! This was a nice different way to cook it (usually just steam and sometimes add lemon juice) The chicken thighs were a nice change from breasts, and always love "nestling" food to cook. Unfortunately don't have any store favorite salsas and tomato based sauces don't go over well. So, added broth instead of salsa and made a creamy cilantro avocado lime sauce to top the meal with- for me that was the hit, the rest was pretty bland.0 Helpful