Skillet Chicken with Salsa and Chard
A little salsa adds a lot of flavor to this simple skillet chicken dinner. A version of this classic dish first made its debut to our meal plan service back in March 2014.
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
Skillet Chicken with Salsa and Chard:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Chard, any type - 2 bunches , chopped, leaves and stems separate (this may seem like a lot, but it will cook down)
- Chicken thighs, boneless & skinless - 1 1/2 lbs (Feel free to use breasts if you prefer white meat)
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Salsa, store-bought - 1/2 cup (choose your fave)
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
- Sour cream (opt) - 1/4 cup
- Quinoa - Combine quinoa with stock and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat when finished to prevent burning / sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Chard - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Season chicken with garlic powder and some salt and pepper. Tenderize. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil and then chicken thighs. Sear on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown (but not cooked all the way through). Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return skillet to heat and add second part of oil. Toss in garlic and chard stems with a dash of salt and saute until softened, ~3 minutes. Add in chard leaves and saute until slightly wilted.
- Return chicken to skillet, nestling into chard leaves. Top with salsa, cover with foil, and lower heat to medium. Cook until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160F / 74C degrees, another 3 to 5 minutes. Finish with lime juice.
- If quinoa was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve chicken and chard over quinoa with sour cream on top. Enjoy!