Moroccan Bean Soupwith yogurt / bread
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Shallots - 1 bulb, chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Bell peppers, fire-roasted - 1/2 cup, chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Beans, Navy (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 2 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3 1/2 cups
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 4 Tbsp
- Bread, any crusty variety, for serving - 8 oz
- Heat a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then carrots, shallots and ginger. Cook until translucent and aromatic, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, coriander, thyme, red pepper flakes and some black pepper. Saute until spices are fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add the bell peppers and tomato paste and stir to combine. Add sherry vinegar and scrape the bottom of the pan to free up any browned bits.
- Add stock and both types of beans and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes to let the flavors come together. Taste and season with lemon juice and some salt.
- Serve soup with a spoonful of yogurt stirred in at the table and crusty bread on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 34 reviews
We really liked this. I subbed allspice for the ginger as a dinner guest can't eat ginger. I can't wait to try it with the ginger. And it came together quite quickly.
This was the perfect combination of flavors--comforting and slightly exotic. Great for a cold day.
Probably meh because I didn't execute well
Needs to be heated a little longer and could tone down the spice next time but great for a cold rainy day!
Smelled great; tasted awful. Sour and slightly bitter; felt like it was missing something. Won't make again.
Kids liked it a lot. Good for a cold day. Warms you up from inside