Moroccan Bean Soup
with yogurt / bread
This hearty Moroccan soup will keep you warm and full, with sweet roasted peppers and alluring North African spices.
Moroccan Bean Soup:
- Carrots - 8 oz , chopped
- Shallots - 1 bulb , chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp , grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Bell peppers, fire-roasted - 1/2 cup , chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Beans, Navy (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 2 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3 1/2 cups
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 4 Tbsp
- Bread, any crusty variety, for serving - 8 oz
- Carrots / Shallots / Ginger / Garlic / Roasted Bell Peppers - Prep as directed. Combine carrots, shallots and ginger in one container. Store garlic and bell peppers in separate containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead).
- Beans (both types) - Drain and rinse.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then carrots, shallots and ginger. Cook until translucent and aromatic, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, coriander, thyme, red pepper flakes and some black pepper. Saute until spices are fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add the bell peppers and tomato paste and stir to combine. Add sherry vinegar and scrape the bottom of the pan to free up any browned bits.
- Add stock and both types of beans and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes to let the flavors come together. Taste and season with lemon juice and some salt.
- Serve soup with a spoonful of yogurt stirred in at the table and crusty bread on the side. Enjoy!