Chickpea Fritters with Lemon-Herb Yogurt
with shredded brussels sprouts salad
Chickpea fritters make a fast, filling vegetarian main dish, especially with tart yogurt sauce to serve over top. Shredding brussels sprouts to serve on the side results in a flavor and crunch that are completely different than when sprouts are cooked. This recipe was first featured in November 2015.
Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad:
- Pecan halves - 1/2 cup , chopped
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Cranberries, dried - 1/3 cup (sub dried cherries)
- Cheese, goat - 3 oz
Lemon Tarragon Yogurt:
- Tarragon, fresh - 2 tsp , chopped (sub fresh thyme)
- Lemons - 1/2 , zest of
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 3/4 cup
- Shallots - 1 clove
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 2 cans , drained and rinsed
- Flour - 2/3 cup
- Eggs - 3
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Pecans / Shallots - Prep as directed. Leave the pecans raw for tonight's meal, or if you prefer, you can toast them in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently until fragrant, ~4 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Prep yogurt - Chop tarragon. Zest lemons. Combine with yogurt. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead.)
- Brussels sprouts - Put the slicing disk in a food processor and shred sprouts (video is for carrots, but the method is the same; you can also thinly slice them by hand or with a mandolin). Wipe out the inside of the food processor bowl and return it to the stand. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Prep fritters - Rinse and drain beans. Put the chopping blade in the food processor (you can also mash the mixture with a pastry blender or your hands) and pulse beans and shallots until they form a coarse paste. Add flour, eggs, salt and pepper and pulse just until combined. Test the batter to see if it will easily stick together when pressed together. If batter is not sticky enough, add an additional egg. Press batter into mini patties, forming 2-3 per person. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Combine mustard, vinegar, honey and olive oil. Season with some salt and pepper. Toss with brussels sprouts, cranberries and pecans. Crumble goat cheese over top.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add cooking oil. When oil begins to shimmer, sear fritters in batches until golden brown on both sides, ~3 minutes on each side.
- Serve fritters with yogurt over top and salad on the side. Enjoy!