with shredded brussels sprouts salad
Chicken tenders get a grown-up touch when seared and tossed with a Dijon mustard and tarragon pan sauce. Shredding brussels sprouts to serve in a salad on the side gives them flavor and crunch. This recipe got rave reviews when it was first featured in November 2015.
Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad:
- Pecan halves - 1/2 cup , chopped
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Cranberries, dried - 1/3 cup (sub dried cherries)
Dijon Chicken with Tarragon:
- Shallots - 1 bulb , diced
- Tarragon, fresh - 2 tsp , chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (or buy pre-cut chicken breast tenders) - 1 lb , cut into strips
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Stock, chicken or vegetable - 1/3 cup
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp (preferably whole grain)
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Pecans / Shallots / Tarragon - Prep as directed. Store separately. You can leave the pecans raw for the salad or, if you prefer you can toast them in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently until fragrant, ~4 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Brussels sprouts - Put the slicing disk in a food processor and shred sprouts (video is for carrots, but the method is the same; you can also thinly slice them by hand or with a mandolin). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken breasts - Slice into strips. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Combine mustard and honey (the portions for the sprouts), vinegar and olive oil. Season with some salt and pepper. Toss with brussels sprouts, cranberries and pecans.
- Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high. Add cooking oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add chicken and saute until golden brown and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and return pan to heat. Add shallots and vinegar and saute, scraping up any bits on the bottom of the pan, until shallots become tender, ~3 minutes. Add stock, tarragon, mustard and honey (the portions for the chicken) and whisk. Simmer until sauce thickens, ~2 minutes. Add chicken back into the skillet and stir to coat in sauce.
- Serve chicken with extra pan sauce over top and salad on the side. Enjoy!