with shredded brussels sprouts salad
Chicken tenders get a grown-up touch when seared and tossed with a Dijon mustard and tarragon pan sauce. Shredding brussels sprouts to serve in a salad on the side gives them flavor and crunch. This recipe got rave reviews when it was first featured in November 2015.
Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad:
- Pecan halves - 1/2 cup , chopped
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Cranberries, dried - 1/3 cup (sub dried cherries)
- Cheese, goat - 3 oz
Dijon Chicken with Tarragon:
- Shallots - 1 bulb , diced
- Tarragon, fresh - 2 tsp , chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (or buy pre-cut chicken breast tenders) - 1 lb , cut into strips
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Stock, chicken or vegetable - 1/3 cup
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp (preferably whole grain)
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Pecans / Shallots / Tarragon - Prep as directed. Store separately. You can leave the pecans raw for the salad or, if you prefer you can toast them in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently until fragrant, ~4 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Brussels sprouts - Put the slicing disk in a food processor and shred sprouts (video is for carrots, but the method is the same; you can also thinly slice them by hand or with a mandolin). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken breasts - Slice into strips. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Combine mustard and honey (the portions for the sprouts), vinegar and olive oil. Season with some salt and pepper. Toss with brussels sprouts, cranberries and pecans. Crumble goat cheese over top.
- Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high. Add cooking oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add chicken and saute until golden brown and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and return pan to heat. Add shallots and vinegar and saute, scraping up any bits on the bottom of the pan, until shallots become tender, ~3 minutes. Add stock, tarragon, mustard and honey (the portions for the chicken) and whisk. Simmer until sauce thickens, ~2 minutes. Add chicken back into the skillet and stir to coat in sauce.
- Serve chicken with extra pan sauce over top and salad on the side. Enjoy!