Seitan "Pot Roast"
with potatoes / carrots / couscous
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup (sub water)
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Couscous - 3/4 cup
Seitan "Pot Roast":
- Seitan - 16 oz , 1" / 2.5cm cubes (sub extra-firm tofu)
- Carrots - 8 oz , chopped
- Onions, medium - 1 , sliced
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 1/2 tsp , grated
- Potatoes - 1 lb , peeled and cubed
- Parsley, fresh (opt) - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Flour - 1/4 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 tsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Seitan / Carrots / Onions / Garlic / Ginger - Prep as directed. Store seitan in one container. Combine carrots and onions in another container. Combine garlic and ginger in a third container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make couscous - Combine stock, salt and butter in a saucepan. Cover and bring to boil. Remove from heat. Stir in couscous and cover with lid. Let stand for ~5 minutes before fluffing with a fork. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Potatoes / Parsley - Prep as directed.
- Season seitan with some salt and pepper and toss with flour.
- Heat a large sauce pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil and then seitan to heated oil. Saute until seitan is golden brown on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes. Set seitan aside and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of oil and then carrots and onions and cook until translucent and aromatic, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, soy sauce and vinegar, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in tomato paste, thyme, stock, potatoes and add seitan back to pan. Bring to a simmer. Simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, ~15 minutes.
- Season with lemon juice and some salt.
- If couscous was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve seitan, vegetables and cooking liquid over couscous. Top with parsley. Enjoy!