Fried Rice with Crispy Prosciutto
- Prosciutto, thinly sliced - 4 slices, chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped
- Peas, frozen or canned - 1 cup
- Eggs - 4
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Miso, any type - 1 tsp
- Fish sauce - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Tuesday) - ~3 cups
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Prosciutto / Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Peas - If using frozen peas, defrost. If using canned peas, drain and rinse.
- Eggs - Whisk eggs.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add chopped prosciutto and saute until prosciutto is crisp. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate.
- If prosciutto released oil while cooking, pour out all but ~1 Tbsp / 15 mL (for 4 servings, adjust if customizing) from the wok. If the wok is dry, add the same amount of cooking oil.
- Add carrots to wok and saute until carrots are golden brown and tender, 3 to 5 minutes (note: if you have a lid that will cover the wok, place the lid on top to speed cooking).
- While carrots are cooking, combine soy sauce, miso, fish sauce and vinegar and set aside.
- Return to carrots and add garlic. Saute for 1 minute. Add rice and soy sauce mixture and stir to combine. Let rice sit, without stirring, for a minute to brown slightly on the bottom of the pan. Move rice to the sides of the wok and pour eggs into the 'donut' hole in the center. Scramble eggs until cooked through.
- Stir in prosciutto, peas and lemon juice.
- Divide rice between serving bowls and top each portion with green onions. Season with some extra soy sauce and hot sauce, if you'd like. Enjoy!
So very good.0 Helpful
Super yummy0 Helpful
My husband and I have a favorite go-to fried rice recipe. Since the reviews were mixed, I basically combined that with this one, which means I took alot of liberties. I would recommend using a wok on this one...definitely helps with the egg cooking part. My Changes: I used smoked sausage instead of prosciutto and used shredded carrots (they were already on hand). I added garlic and onions and doubled the sauce. Unfortunately I had run out of rice vinegar and miso, so I only used fish sauce and soy sauce. Overall I think it was an improvement on our original recipe! I will do it this way from now on :)0 Helpful
Used Tamari rather than miso and bacon rather than prosciutto. It was tasty. We questioned whether it was filling enough.0 Helpful
I feel like it needs something. The flavor is good but feels somehow unbalanced.0 Helpful
Left out the prosciutto; still delish!0 Helpful