Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Tomato Pesto
and roasted green beans
- Sun-dried tomatoes in oil - 1/2 cup, drained and rinsed
- Garlic - 1 clove, peeled
- Pecan halves - 1/4 cup
- Arugula - 1/2 oz
- Oil, olive - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 2, butterflied and flattened
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Sun dried tomato pesto (ingredients listed separately) - 1/3 cup
- Prosciutto, thinly sliced - 6 slices
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Arrowroot powder - 1 tsp
- Stock, chicken - 1/2 cup
- Wine, white - 1/4 cup (sub stock)
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Pine nuts - 2 Tbsp (sub slivered almonds)
- Make pesto - (Skip if pesto was made ahead on Monday.) Drain and rinse tomatoes. Peel garlic. Place all pesto ingredients into a food processor. Pulse until thickened. If it's not 'saucy' enough, add more oil or a splash of water. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans - Trim beans. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Chicken breasts - Butterfly chicken breasts, by slicing chicken breast in half, making sure you don’t slice all the way through so that the two halves are still connected. Open up chicken breasts, like opening a book. Place parchment paper over breasts and pound with a tenderizer, until breasts are about 1/2” / 1.25cm thick. Sprinkle on Italian seasoning with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. Fill chicken with pesto. Fold chicken breasts closed and wrap each stuffed chicken breast with 3 slices of prosciutto. Watch this video to see how it's done. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 375F / 191C.
- Toss green beans with oil (the portion for the beans) and season with some salt and pepper. Spread on a sheet pan and roast, shaking pan halfway through cooking, until beans are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While green beans roast, heat an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil (the portion for the chicken) and then prosciutto-wrapped chicken breasts to heated oil. Sear on each side for 2-1/2 minutes and then transfer to the oven, cooking for another 8 to 15 minutes, until chicken reaches 165F / 74C.
- Stir arrowroot powder into stock.
- When chicken is done, remove from pan to rest. Place skillet over medium heat and pour in white wine, scraping up any bits remaining in the pan. Next add stock and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, until sauce is thick and creamy.
- Toss green beans with lemon juice and pine nuts.
- Slice chicken breasts and serve with sauce on top. Enjoy with green beans on the side.
Saltiest thing I've ever eatten0 Helpful
This was a little disappointing. I loved the pesto on its own, but the flavor was lost a little in the final dish0 Helpful
Added a little mozzarella. Also added triple Olive oil to the pesto, didn't have arugula so substituted spinach and basil and turned out great. So amazing!0 Helpful
Did not make the pan sauce but made everything else as written. Really loved it!! Kids did too!0 Helpful
I used bacon instead. It was bomb!0 Helpful
So, so good.0 Helpful