Broccoli and Sausage Frittata
with side salad
Side Salad with Paprika-Spiced Vinaigrette:
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
Broccoli and Sausage Frittata:
- Broccoli - 1 lb , chopped
- Basil (opt) - 4 sprigs , chiffonaded
- Eggs - 8 , whisked
- Coconut milk - 1/4 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 10 oz
- Broccoli - Chop into bite-sized pieces. Place into a microwave-safe container, cover with a wet paper towel, and microwave for 2 to 2.5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Basil (if using) - Chiffonade.
- Eggs - Whisk with coconut milk and some salt and pepper. Fold basil into eggs.
- Heat oven to 400F (or 204C) degrees.
- Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil, and then sausage to heated oil (if you like spice, you can also add some red pepper flakes here). Break sausage up and cook until brown on the outside, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain all but 1.5 Tbsp / 22 mL of fat out of the pan (discard in the trash and not down the sink to avoid clogging).
- Next fold in broccoli and then pour in whisked eggs. Transfer to oven and bake for 18 to 22 minutes, until a knife comes out cleanly.
- While frittata is baking, make vinaigrette by whisking paprika, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss vinaigrette with tomatoes and mixed greens when frittata is ready. Enjoy frittata with your side salad.