Spicy Broccoli and Chickpea Orecchiettewith parmesan
- Garlic - 3 cloves, sliced thinly
- Broccoli - 1 1/4 lb, chopped
- Basil (opt) - 4 sprigs, chiffonaded
- Garbanzo beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Pasta, orecchiette - 8 oz ((sub any small pasta shape))
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Tomatoes, crushed - 2 cups
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Cheese, Parmesan - 2 oz, shaved or grated
- Bring a sauce pan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. About 1 minute before finishing, add in broccoli. Drain, saving ½ cup (or 118 ml) of pasta water (for 4 servings, adjust accordingly if customizing).
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then sliced garlic and red pepper flakes to heated oil. Add chickpeas and saute until golden.
- Add crushed tomatoes and pasta water, and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Mix pasta and broccoli into the sauce, and saute until everything is cooked through.
- Remove from heat. Fold in basil, and finish with lemon juice and parmesan cheese (if using). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This meal has 32 reviews
a little bland and needed something else besides broccoli and pasta.
I'd remake this meal when I'm not in my first trimester with an aversion to poultry and red sauce. I think it would be good and my husband liked it (though he subbed green beans for broccoli).
Even better than last time.
Nothing exciting here. We added about 1 cup of extra crushed tomatoes and 1/2 cup of pasta water so it wasn't dry. I think I'd rather cannellini beans or something with more taste than chickpeas. Also, while I love both broccoli and tomato sauce, I'm not a fan of them together.
This is pretty good. I think I could have added a lot more red pepper flakes to make it spicy, but it's a good meal.
Flavors didn't come together so well for me, but loved the trick of throwing the broccoli in as the pasta finishes. Wow game changer!!