Spicy Broccoli and Chickpea Orecchiette
Spicy Broccoli and Chickpea Orecchiette:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , sliced thinly
- Broccoli - 1 1/4 lb , chopped
- Basil (opt) - 4 sprigs , chiffonaded
- Garbanzo beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Pasta, orecchiette - 8 oz ((sub any small pasta shape))
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Tomatoes, crushed - 2 cups
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
- Cheese, Parmesan - 2 oz , shaved or grated
- Bring a sauce pan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. About 1 minute before finishing, add in broccoli. Drain, saving ½ cup (or 118 ml) of pasta water (for 4 servings, adjust accordingly if customizing).
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then sliced garlic and red pepper flakes to heated oil. Add chickpeas and saute until golden.
- Add crushed tomatoes and pasta water, and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Mix pasta and broccoli into the sauce, and saute until everything is cooked through.
- Remove from heat. Fold in basil, and finish with lemon juice and parmesan cheese (if using). Season to taste with salt and pepper.