Chicken with Mango Salsa
Chicken with Mango Salsa:
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lb
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 3 tsp
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , diced
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1/2 , diced
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp , grated
- Cilantro (opt) - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Mango, fresh - 2 , chopped (sub frozen mango or frozen pineapple, defrosted and chopped)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/4 cup (only if using stovetop / oven)
- Asparagus - 1 bunch , ends trimmed
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Chicken - Tenderize with a fork and toss with aminos and rice vinegar. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Bell peppers / Jalapenos / Ginger - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Asparagus / Cilantro - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Mangos - If using fresh mango, peel and chop. If using frozen, defrost in the microwave and chop.
- If using the oven, preheat to 375F / 191C. (If using a grill, skip ahead to the next step.)
- Toss asparagus in sesame oil and salt.
- If using a grill: Preheat grill to 400F (163C) degrees, keeping one section on higher heat and another section on lower heat. Clean and oil grates. Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and place over high heat. Season with some salt and pepper as it cooks. Sear chicken for 2 to 3 minutes on each side and transfer to lower heat. Place asparagus over high heat, turning to cook on all sides. Cook until asparagus is tender and chicken's internal temperature reaches 165F (74C) degrees, 3 to 4 minutes for both items.
- If using the stovetop / oven: Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brush pan with oil and sear chicken on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes (discard marinade). Season chicken with some salt and pepper as it cooks. Move chicken to one side of pan and place asparagus on the other side (don't worry if the asparagus overlaps with the chicken). Pour stock into the pan and cover loosely with foil. Transfer chicken and asparagus to the oven and continue cooking until asparagus is tender and chicken's internal temperature reaches 165F (74C) degrees, 12 to 15 minutes for both items.
- While chicken and asparagus cook, toss together mango, bell peppers, jalapenos, ginger and cilantro.
- Slice chicken. Squeeze lemon juice over asparagus.
- Serve chicken with mango salsa on top. Enjoy with asparagus on the side.