Tom Kha Gai Soup
with chicken, zucchini and mushrooms
This coconut-based Thai soup has become one of our community's favorites since it was first introduced in March 2015. It's sweet, savory and tangy all at the same time.
Smarts: We packed this soup with lots of veggies - feel free to swap in and out whatever you love best.
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Fish sauce - 2 tsp + 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp + 1 tsp
- Lemongrass - 3 stalks, mashed
- Ginger, fresh - 1/2 inch, sliced thinly
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms, brown or shiitake - 1/2 lb, sliced thinly
- Zucchini, large - 1, sliced thinly
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, sliced thinly
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, sliced thinly
- Cilantro (opt) - 1/4 bunch, leaves torn off of stems
- Limes - 1/2, sliced into wedges
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then aromatics - lemongrass, ginger and garlic. Saute for ~1 minute, until very fragrant.
- Add chicken to aromatics and saute until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fold in mushrooms and saute for another 2 to 3 minutes until mushrooms start to turn golden.
- Pour in coconut milk, stock and second parts of fish sauce and brown sugar. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for 4 to 6 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, slice jalapenos, pick off cilantro leaves and slice limes into wedges.
- Fold in zucchini and tomatoes. If you sliced zucchini super thin, the residual heat will cook the zucchini and you can just turn off the heat. Otherwise, simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes to cook the zucchini.
- Season with hot sauce and more fish sauce if it’s not savory enough.
- Divide into bowls and serve with jalapenos, cilantro and lime wedges.
This is yummy. I added salt and some Trader Joe’s Green Dragon hot sauce. 😋0 Helpful
Smiled stevia and made a larger portion based on some reviews. It was absolutely delicious!!0 Helpful
Thought it would need more coconut milk (the broth looked thinner than when we usually get this at restaurants), but it actually ended up having an amazing flavor! I was also surprised by how much I liked the zucchini. My only complaint is that I think the portions for this one are underestimated.0 Helpful
Make the vegetarian version, delicious, love this combo of flavors.0 Helpful
Man I am not sure where we went wrong, we followed the directions, and everyone seemed to like this but it was just not for us.... :(0 Helpful
skipped the stevia (did the paleo version). absolutely delicious!0 Helpful