with shrimp / bacon / sherry vinaigrette
Smarts: Traditional Lyonnaise Salad is topped with a poached egg. We've opted to fry the eggs in this version so there's not another dish to wash, but you can certainly poach your eggs if you prefer.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Bread, small loaf of sourdough or Italian - 1/2, cubed
- Frisee - 8 oz, torn into pieces (sub green leaf lettuce or mixed greens)
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Bacon - 4 slices
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Shallots - 1 bulb, diced
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Shallots / Garlic - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Combine shallots, mustard, sherry vinegar and olive oil (the portion for the vinaigrette). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bread / Frisee - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and dry.
- Heat oven to 375F / 191C.
- Toss bread cubes with garlic, olive oil (the portion for the salad) and some salt. Spread on a sheet pan. Transfer to the oven and toast until bread is golden, shaking pan halfway through cooking, 12 to 15 minutes.
- While bread toasts, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook on both sides until bacon is crisp. Transfer bacon to a paper-towel lined plate. Crumble bacon when cool enough to handle.
- Drain off all but 1 Tbsp / 15mL (for 4 servings, adjust if customizing) of bacon fat and return pan to heat. Add shrimp and cook in bacon fat until tender, seasoning both sides with some salt and pepper as it cooks. Combine shrimp and crumbled bacon.
- Wipe out skillet and return to medium heat. Add cooking oil. Crack eggs into oil and fry to desired doneness (cook on one side for sunny-side up, or flip and cook on both sides). Season eggs with some salt and pepper.
- Toss frisee, toasted bread cubes, shrimp and bacon in vinaigrette. Divide between serving bowls and top with eggs. Enjoy!
I would've preferred more veggies, less protein.0 Helpful
Replaced shrimps with avocado and added some radish for colour and crunch.0 Helpful
Still trying to perfect the poached egg, but otherwise a fantastic meal!0 Helpful
Turned out great!0 Helpful
would be great for brunch0 Helpful
Used mirin instead of sherry vinegar and romaine in place of frisée because we had it on hand. Had crusty toast instead of croutons. We really enjoyed this salad.0 Helpful