Green Curry Lentils
with kale and avocado
I really stretched my imagination for this one, but the result is something tasty, unique, and healthy all at the same time. But don't get sketched out by all the 'greenness.' Rich coconut milk and fragrant curry paste adds flavor to anything!
- French / green lentils - 2 cups, dried
- Onions - 1, diced
- Kale - 1 bunch, leaves removed, stems chopped
- Coconut milk - 1 can
- Green curry paste - 2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Vegetable broth - 2 cups
- Avocado - 1, cubed
- Lime - 1/2, juice of
- Drain lentils. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Pour in coconut milk and whisk in curry paste. Next add onions and kale stems with some salt. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes, until softened but crunchy. Add in lentils, sugar, salt, and broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer until lentils are softened, ~15 minutes.
- While lentils are cooking, cube avocado.
- When lentils are cooked through, add in kale leaves and toss through until leaves are cooked. You might still have some excess liquid - that's fine, just consider it a curry sauce. Season to taste with salt and add in lime juice. Enjoy topped with avocado.
Nana and kids liked it. Husband, just okay. Not super-hearty or filling. Served it with a side salad.0 Helpful
I absolutely love this dish. It's super easy, versatile, and is always a big hit when I make it for vegetarian/vegan family and friends. It's great as written, but it works over rice if you want to stretch it a bit, with yellow or red curry, and with other veggies like chard and mushrooms. One thing is I've found it's easy to over salt and that for me the saltiness from the broth I use is just enough.0 Helpful
Very simple, but very tasty.0 Helpful
Great idea, and tasty, but not a favorite.0 Helpful
This was a great dish! I absolutely loved all of the textures. And the simplicity of the ingredients really allowed all the different flavors to shine through. The only additions I made were fresh garlic, ginger, and chili. Will definitely be making this again soon!0 Helpful
Really delicious, and so simple to make! It doesn't have a soupy texture - nice and hearty.0 Helpful