Chicken with Chard and Mushrooms
and spinach salad
Chard and mushrooms come together to form a sauce for seared chicken that is packed with nutrients and flavor. Served with a green salad, this is a great cold-weather meal.
Spinach, Cranberry, and Pecan Salad:
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Spinach, baby - 4 oz
- Pecan halves - 1/2 cup
- Cranberries, dried - 1/2 cup
Chicken with Chard and Mushrooms:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , chopped
- Mushrooms - 16 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Chard - 2 leaves , chopped, leaves and stems separate
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Flour, almond - 3 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make dressing - Whisk together vinegar, maple syrup and mustard. Add oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Onions / Mushrooms / Chard - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil. Sear on both sides until chicken is cooked through, ~3 minutes on each side. Set chicken aside and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of cooking oil and then mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until mushrooms are tender and golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes (note: don't rush this step as cooking the mushrooms until they are dark grown is the key to developing flavor in the sauce). Season with a pinch of salt and stir in paprika and red pepper flakes. Add butter and then onions and chard stems to melted butter. Saute until onions are beginning to soften, ~2 minutes more. Add almond flour, chard leaves and stock to pan and simmer until liquid reduces by about half, ~5 minutes more. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Add chicken back to pan and spoon sauce over top. Finish with lemon juice.
- Just before serving toss spinach, pecans and cranberries in dressing.
- Serve chicken with mushrooms and chard on top. Enjoy with salad on the side.