Creamy Chard and Mushroom Stroganoff
with egg noodles
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms - 16 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Chard - 2 leaves, chopped, leaves and stems separate
- Noodles, egg - 8 oz (sub any dried pasta)
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Wine, white - 1/2 cup (sub any type stock)
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 oz, grated
- Bring a large stock pot with salted water to a boil. Add noodles and cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain.
- While pasta cooks, heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and then mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until mushrooms have cooked down and are golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes (note: don't rush this step as cooking the mushrooms until they are dark grown is the key to developing flavor in the sauce). Season with some salt and set mushrooms aside. Return pan to heat.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add butter and then chard stems to melted butter. Saute until chard stems are beginning to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, flour, paprika and red pepper flakes (if using) and stir until no dry bits of flour remain.
- Stir in chard leaves and white wine and cook until chard leaves are wilted and wine is reduced, ~3 minutes more. Add stock and mushrooms to pan and simmer until the sauce reduces by about half, ~5 minutes more.
- Remove pan from heat and let it cool for 1 minute before stirring in yogurt. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve noodles with sauce over top. Finish with lemon juice and parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
I used sour cream instead of yogurt and made extra sauce and we loved this meal!! We're big stroganoff fans and it is nice to find a good recipe without meat.0 Helpful
Used several leaves of kale. Very good!0 Helpful
Was really pleasantly surprised by this. One of those recipes I was skeptical about but both of us really enjoyed it! The feta is a must - brings all the flavors together. Had 1 serving leftover and lucky me, I got it for lunch the next day :)0 Helpful
Not bad despite my mistakes with the steps, including adding chard leaves instead of stems to melted butter. Still turned out ok & leftovers good too.0 Helpful
Only the second Cooksmarts recipe that I haven't liked. I don't do mushrooms, so I replaced them with vegetarian ground beef. End result was tasteless and not very saucy.0 Helpful
I added ground bison0 Helpful