with spinach / coconut and mango smoothie
Chicken Korma is a classic Indian curry with chicken and sweet potatoes simmered in rich gravy. A quick spice mix infuses the dish with flavor and color, and a fruit smoothie makes a fresh, tart complement when served on the side.
- Curry powder, mild - 2 tsp
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Turmeric, ground (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin - 1/4 tsp
- Mango, frozen cubes - 4 cups
- Coconut milk, light - 1/2 cup
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
- Sweet potatoes - 3/4 lb , peeled and cubed
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Ginger, fresh - 1/2 tsp , grated
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , cubed
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp , leaves torn
- Butter - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp (sub ghee)
- Indian spice mix (ingredients listed separately) - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Coconut milk, light - 1 1/2 cups
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
Make Indian spice mix - Double if making Wednesday's meal. Combine curry powder, garam masala, turmeric, salt, chili powder and cumin. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Chicken - Chop into bite-sized pieces, tenderize and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Cilantro - Tear leaves. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Smoothie - Blend all smoothie ingredients.
Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add first part of butter and then chicken to melted butter. Saute until chicken is nearly cooked through (it will finish cooking in the stock), 3 to 4 minutes. Set chicken aside and return Dutch oven to heat.
Add second part of butter and then garlic, shallots and ginger to melted butter. Saute for 1 minute and then add spice mix (reserve half if doubled for Wednesday). Saute until spices are toasted and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes more.
Add potatoes, stock and coconut milk and give it a stir. Place the lid on the Dutch oven and simmer until potatoes are tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
When potatoes are tender add chicken back to pan and then stir in spinach. Continue cooking, covered, until spinach is wilted. Remove pan from heat and stir in lime juice. Taste and season with some additional salt and lime juice, if needed.
Divide korma between serving bowls and garnish with cilantro. Serve with smoothie on the side. Enjoy!