Italian Soup with Shrimp
and pancetta / vegetables
- Shrimp - 1 1/2 lb, peeled and deveined
- Pancetta (opt) - 6 oz, chopped (look for pre-chopped pancetta)
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Carrots - 8 oz, diced
- Celery - 2 ribs, diced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch, leaves torn, stems chopped
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasonings - 1 Tbsp
- Basil, dried - 2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Tomatoes, diced - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add pancetta and saute for ~1 minute.
- Add garlic, chard stems, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, Italian seasonings, basil and black pepper. Saute for another 2 minutes, letting the flavors caramelize together.
- Add carrots, celery, diced tomatoes and stock. Bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes, until carrots and celery are tender.
- Fold in shrimp and chard leaves and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide into bowls and enjoy!
My kids loved it! And besides chopping up the veggies it was so easy!0 Helpful
Lacked a bit in taste.0 Helpful
The flavors are so yummy. Did not have carrots on hand so added zucchini instead. Leftovers for lunch today, yay!0 Helpful
The chard brought it up a notch from regular veggie soup.0 Helpful
This wouldn't have been nearly as flavorful without the Parmesan - especially the rind! And the crusty bread also definitely improves things. :) All in all not a favorite, but still came together pretty quickly and hit the spot on a cool spring evening.0 Helpful
We made this with homemade chicken stock and parmesan rinds. And a pound of kale. About 2/3 the carrots called for. So good! We love how it is full of hearty vegetables and feels really nourishing.0 Helpful