Italian Soup with Shrimp
and pancetta / vegetables
This classic Italian soup is peasant, comfort food at its best. Spices and basic pantry essentials elevate a simple soup with shrimp and pancetta in the paleo-friendly version of this recipe that became an instant favorite when it was introduced to our community's kitchens in March 2015.
Italian Soup with Shrimp:
- Shrimp - 1 1/2 lb , peeled and deveined
- Pancetta (opt) - 6 oz , chopped (look for pre-chopped pancetta)
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Carrots - 8 oz , diced
- Celery - 2 ribs , diced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch , leaves torn, stems chopped
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasonings - 1 Tbsp
- Basil, dried - 2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Tomatoes, diced - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add pancetta and saute for ~1 minute.
- Add garlic, chard stems, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, Italian seasonings, basil and black pepper. Saute for another 2 minutes, letting the flavors caramelize together.
- Add carrots, celery, diced tomatoes and stock. Bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes, until carrots and celery are tender.
- Fold in shrimp and chard leaves and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide into bowls and enjoy!