Vegetarian Italian Ribollita Soup
with beans, veggies and bread
This classic Italian soup is peasant, comfort food at its best. Spices and basic pantry essentials elevate inexpensive ingredients in the vegetarian version of this recipe that became an instant favorite when it was introduced to our community's kitchens in March 2015.
Italian Ribollita Bean Soup:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Carrots - 8 oz , diced
- Celery - 2 ribs , diced
- Mushrooms, any type - 4 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch , leaves torn, stems chopped
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Tamari - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasonings - 1 Tbsp
- Basil, dried - 2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Tomatoes, diced - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Parmesan (opt) - 1 rind + more for serving
- Crusty bread, gluten-free (opt) - 5 oz
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic, chard stems, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, Tamari, Italian seasonings, basil and black pepper to heated oil. Saute for ~2 minutes, letting the flavors caramelize together.
- Add carrots, celery, diced tomatoes, stock and parmesan rind. Bring to a boil and then add mushrooms. Simmer uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes, until carrots and celery are tender.
- Fold in beans and chard leaves.
- Discard parmesan rind and season to taste with some salt and pepper. Divide into bowls and sprinkle with more parmesan. Enjoy with bread if using.