Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds with Sausage
with fried eggs / green salad
Roasted sweet potato rounds are topped with Italian sausage and finished with a fried egg for a protein-packed dinner that is totally unique. A fresh salad adds crunch and a hint of sweetness on the side.
Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds with Sausage:
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb , 1/2" / 1.3 cm slices
- Italian seasoning - 2 tsp
- Sausage, Italian mild or spicy - 12 oz
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
Salad with Celery and Apples:
- Celery - 1 rib , sliced
- Lettuce, green leaf - 1 head , chopped
- Apples - 1 , chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Sweet potatoes - If prepping right before cooking, start oven heating before returning to prep. Slice sweet potatoes into 1/2" / 1.25cm rounds. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Celery - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Apples - Prep as directed and combine.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Brush a sheet pan with some oil and spread sweet potatoes in a single layer on pan. Brush tops of sweet potato rounds with some oil and season with some salt and pepper. Roast potatoes until tops are starting to turn golden brown (they will not be cooked all the way through), 6 to 8 minutes.
- While sweet potatoes roast, whisk together vinegar, mustard and olive oil in a large mixing bowl. Top with celery, lettuce and apples (wait to toss salad until just before serving).
- Remove sweet potatoes, flip and brush with some more oil. Season with some additional salt and Italian seasoning. Place a spoonful of sausage on top of each potato round. Return pan to oven and continue baking until sweet potatoes are tender and sausage is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- While sweet potatoes roast, heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then crack eggs into heated oil. Season eggs with some salt and pepper. Fry eggs to desired doneness (cook on one side for sunny-side up, or flip and cook on both sides).
- Divide sweet potato rounds between serving plates. Top them with fried eggs. Toss salad and serve on the side. Enjoy!