Croque Madame on English Muffins
and green salad with celery and apples
We're putting our own twist on this French bistro favorite. Warm, open-faced ham and cheese sandwiches are topped with fried eggs for a savory, simple dinner. A fresh salad adds crunch and sweetness on the side.
- Cheese, gruyere - 4 oz , shredded or thinly sliced (sub Swiss cheese)
- English muffins - 4 , halved
- Foil - for cooking
- Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp
- Black forest ham, thinly sliced - 8 oz
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
Salad with Celery and Apples:
- Celery - 1 rib , sliced
- Lettuce, green leaf - 1 head , chopped
- Apples - 1 , chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Cheese / Celery - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Apples - Prep as directed and combine.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Turn on the oven's broiler (use the lowest broiler setting if your oven has multiple settings).
- While oven heats, whisk together vinegar, mustard (the portion for the salad), honey and olive oil in a large mixing bowl. Top with celery, lettuce and apples (wait to toss salad until just before serving).
- Slice English muffins in half. Line a sheet pan with foil and place English muffins on pan, cut-side up. Broil English muffins until just starting to turn golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Combine mayonnaise and mustard (the portion for the Croque Madames).
- Remove English muffins from oven and spread with mayonnaise / mustard. Top each half with ham and then a slice of cheese. Return pan to oven and continue broiling until cheese is melted and starting to brown on top (watch it closely to prevent burning).
- While English muffins toast, heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then crack eggs into heated oil. Season eggs with some salt and pepper. Fry eggs to desired doneness (cook on one side for sunny-side up, or flip and cook on both sides).
- Divide English muffins between serving plates, leaving them open-faced. Top each pair of English muffins with a fried egg. Toss salad and serve on the side. Enjoy!