Teriyaki Mushroom and Bell Pepper Stir-Fry
with broccolini / rice
- Ginger - 1 tsp , grated
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Water - 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Sugar, light brown - 3 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 3 tsp
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 3/4 cup
- Broccolini - 2 bunches , cut into 1" (2.5 cm) pieces (sub broccoli)
- Bell peppers, any color - 2 , diced
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , sliced
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts separated
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Teriyaki sauce (ingredients listed separately) - ~2/3 cup
Rice - Double if making Wednesday night's dinner. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice) and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add ginger, garlic, first part of water, soy sauce and sugar and heat until it begins to simmer, ~5 minutes. Whisk cornstarch into second part of water and stir into sauce.
Heat wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until golden and tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add bell peppers and continue cooking until peppers are shimmering but still have a bit of crunch, about 2 minutes more. Set mushrooms and peppers aside.
Return wok to heat and add second part of cooking oil. Add broccolini with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Return mushrooms and peppers to pan and add teriyaki sauce. Cook just until it begins to simmer.
If you made rice ahead, reheat in the microwave (remember to save half the rice if you doubled for Wednesday).
Serve stir-fry over rice with green parts of green onions on top. Enjoy!