Teriyaki Turkey Meatballs
broccolini / mushrooms / cauliflower rice
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Water - 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1/4 cup
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Arrowroot powder - 3 tsp
- Cauliflower, small - 1 head, florets chopped
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Broccolini - 2 bunches, ends trimmed (sub broccoli)
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separated
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb (look for ground dark meat turkey if available; sub ground beef or pork)
- Eggs - 1
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, halved
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Teriyaki sauce (ingredients listed separately) - ~2/3 cup
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Cauliflower rice - Double if making Wednesday night's night's dinner. Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Broccolini / Green onions / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make meatballs - Mix the white parts of the green onions (reserve the green parts), ground turkey, egg, salt and black pepper. Form into 1” (2.5 cm) wide meatballs. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms in half. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 375F / 190C degrees.
- Brush a sheet pan with some oil and spread meatballs out on half the sheet pan. Toss broccolini and mushrooms in oil, season with some salt and pepper, and spread on the other half of the sheet pan. Bake until meatballs are cooked through and broccolini is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While meatballs are cooking, heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add ginger, garlic, first part of water, aminos and honey and heat until it begins to simmer, ~5 minutes. Whisk arrowroot powder into second part of water and stir into sauce. Continue cooking until sauce thickens slightly. When meatballs are cooked, stir into sauce.
- If you made cauliflower rice ahead, reheat in the microwave (remember to save half the rice if you doubled for Wednesday).
- Squeeze lemon juice over mushrooms and broccolini.
- Serve teriyaki meatballs over cauliflower rice with green parts of green onions on top. Enjoy mushrooms and broccolini on the side.
Definitely getting added to our regular rotation. So yummy and healthy!0 Helpful
Should have listened to the other reviewers and reduce the soy sauce because it was definitely salty! I think a note in the recipe to halve it if you're not using low-sodium soy sauce would have been helpful. I also added more panko to help the meatballs stay together.0 Helpful
Great and easy. Quick. Double the sauce recommended0 Helpful
The sauce was awesome! The turkey meatballs soaked the sauce and went well with Basmati rice. Definitely making this again!0 Helpful
I doubled the sauce as many recommended, but found that was too much for me. No harm in doubling it and saving what’s left for a lunch, though! I used only 2/3 of the listed sugar and found that was perfect.0 Helpful